What we do
The Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) is an independent, non-statutory, non-time limited, non-departmental public body that advises the government on migration issues.
Who we are
The MAC is made up of a chair and 3 other independent economists, who have been appointed under rules relating to public appointments laid down by the Office of the Commissioner for Public Appointments (OCPA). Additionally, the Home Office are represented on the committee:
- Professor Sir David Metcalf CBE (chairman)
- Professor Alan Manning
- Dr Jennifer C. Smith
- Professor Jackline Wahba
- Paul Regan (ex-officio member, Home Office)
The MAC is supported by a secretariat, which is based in London.
We are responsible for providing transparent, independent and evidence-based advice to the government on migration issues. Our reports cover issues including:
- the impacts of immigration
- the limits on immigration under the points based system
- skills shortages within occupations
Access our information
Jobs and contracts