Complaints procedure

How to make a complaint about a service provided by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency.

Types of complaints we can help with

Use these procedures to make a complaint about the quality of service the agency has provided or about the behaviour of a member of staff. For general enquiries please see our contacts page.

To report adverse incidents involving medical devices or serious events involving blood safety or quality use the following contacts.

The Adverse Incident Centre (AIC)

The AIC processes reports of adverse incidents involving medical devices and equipment.

Telephone: 020 3080 7080

Blood safety and quality enquiries

SABRE haemovigilance handles reports of serious adverse reactions and events involving blood or blood components for transfusion.

Telephone: 020 3080 7336

How to complain

If you have a complaint about the agency’s service you should email Customer Services at

If your complaint isn’t resolved to your satisfaction you should write to:


Administrative Complaints Officer
Corporate Governance and Accountability
Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
5-T, 151 Buckingham Palace Road

What happens next

We will investigate your complaint and handle it confidentially and, where applicable, we will look for ways of improving our services.

Our aim is to acknowledge written complaints within 5 working days and provide a substantial first response within 20 working days.

If, following a response from the Agency#s Administrative Complaints Officer, you’re still unsatisfied with the way your complaint was handled, you may, via your MP contact the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Complaints made under the Freedom of Information Act 2000

Separate procedures cover complaints made under the Freedom of Information Act. If we cannot give you the information you have asked for, or have to charge for that information, we will explain the reasons why.

If you’re dissatisfied with the agency’s reply to your FOI request, or the decision to impose a charge, you can request a formal internal review. The response we send to you will tell you who to contact to request such a review, which will be done by a senior member of the agency who was not involved in the original decision.

Whistleblower referrals

Whistle-blower referrals

Case Referral Centre
151 Buckingham Palace Road