Complaints procedure

How to make a complaint about the Land Registration Rule Committee’s service.

As an advisory body for the Land Registry, the Land Registration Rule Committee doesn’t provide direct services to the public. You can, however, make a complaint if you believe that we haven’t been fair in one of our decisions, or are unhappy with how you’ve been treated by a member of staff.

Write to the following address and include full details of your complaint:

Head of Corporate Legal Services
Land Registry, Head Office
Trafalgar House
1 Bedford Park

If you’re not satisfied

If you’re not satisfied with how your complaint is resolved you can ask for LRRC to review it internally.

If this is still unsatisfactory, refer to the Land Registry complaints procedure.