What we do
Innovate UK is the new name for the Technology Strategy Board.
We fund, support and connect innovative businesses to accelerate sustainable economic growth.
Who we are
We’re an organisation of around 250 staff, drawn mainly from business and based in Swindon.
Our responsibilities are to:
- provide new support for innovative small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) with high-growth potential
- make sure that government initiatives such as SBRI (Small Business Research Initiative) attract innovative UK businesses and give companies access to important customers in the public sector
- identify and invest in the sectors that have the greatest potential for innovation to speed up economic growth
- help innovative companies work with their backers so their ideas can be developed commercially
Our plans for this year
Our plans for 2014 to 2015 include:
- launching more than 80 competitions for up to £536 million government funding, including our Smart and Launchpad competitions, in:
- specific sectors such as energy, digital, health and care, and transport
- new areas such as urban living and emerging technologies
- developing our Knowledge Transfer Network and Knowledge Transfer Partnerships programme
- helping UK business make the most of the innovation funding and opportunities in Europe such as Horizon 2020
- improving our customer services and application processes