What we do
Innovate UK is the UK's innovation agency
We work with people, companies and partner organisations to find and drive the science and technology innovations that will grow the UK economy.
Who we are
We’re an organisation of around 300 staff, drawn mainly from business. We work across the UK, with a head office in Swindon.
With a strong business focus, we drive growth by working with companies to de-risk, enable and support innovation. To do this, we work to:
- determine which science and technology developments will drive future economic growth
- meet UK innovators with great ideas in the fields we’re focused on
- fund the strongest opportunities
- connect innovators with the right partners they need to succeed
- help our innovators launch, build and grow successful businesses
Our work so far
Since 2007 we have committed over £1.8 billion to innovation, matched by a similar amount in partner and business funding. We have helped more than 7,600 organisations with projects estimated to add more than £11.5 billion to the UK economy and create 55,000 extra new jobs.
At the start of this new Spending Review period, the Government has announced its intention to publish a National Innovation Plan. As the UK’s innovation agency, our new strategy for 2016 to 2020 is a key part of the National Innovation Plan and will be published alongside it.
Our Delivery Plan
Our latest Delivery Plan describes what we are doing in the current financial year (April 2016 to March 2017).
It explains how we will find, support and grow innovative businesses this year to speed up economic growth. It also explains some changes in the way we work:
- a new sector grouping approach to our programmes
- simplified funding competitions including a single ‘open’ programme for applications from any technology, sector or size of business
- an enhanced role for our innovation networks
Read the Delivery Plan to learn more about our work and how we are helping innovative businesses.