Responsibilities and membership of the Healthcare UK Governance Board
The Governance Board is accountable to UK Trade and Investment (UKTI) and Department of Health (DH) ministers.
The Cabinet Office and the Prime Minister’s Office also have an interest in monitoring progress, as do UKTI’s parent departments: Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).
The Governance Board is responsible for signing off and directing the planning of Healthcare UK activity plus overseeing the delivery of the strategy. Specific responsibilities include:
- evaluation and agreement of the strategy and annual business plans for Healthcare UK
- supporting the development of its strategic direction through identifying and reviewing target markets and considering whether Healthcare UK will be proactive or reactive in those markets
- overseeing what Healthcare UK is signing up to in terms of National Health Service (NHS) provision, helping to protect NHS brand
- advising on resource levels and expenditure
- providing corporate governance and accountability, including ensuring Healthcare UK’s Key Performance Indicators are managed appropriately and undertaking periodic reviews
- assistance in identifying and advising on major issues of concern relating to trade in healthcare goods and services, which may require Departmental / Governmental intervention
The make-up of Healthcare UK’s Governance Board is set by UKTI and DH ministers. The composition of the Board is subject to periodic review by ministers. In the event of a Board Member standing down, nominations for new members will be made by UKTI and DH, and will be submitted to ministers for approval.
The current board membership is:
|Independent Chair||Sir Ian Carruthers OBE|
|Healthcare UK||Deborah Kobewka, Managing Director, Healthcare UK|
|NHS representative||Sir Andrew Cash OBE, Chief Executive Officer, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
|NHS representative||Sir Ron Kerr CBE, Chief Executive Officer, Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospital NHS Foundation Trust|
|NHS England representative||John Holden, DIrector of Policy, Partnerships and Innovation, NHS England|
|UKTI representative||Nicola Bolton, Managing Director, Trade|
|Office for Life Sciences representative||Dr Nicole Mather, Director, Office for Life Sciences|
|Industry representative||Candice Blackwood, Partner, Nabarro LLP|
|Industry representative||Mike Hobbs, Managing Director, Carillion Health|
|Business Ambassadors’ network representative||Professor Lord Ajay Kakkar, Business Ambassador for Healthcare & Sciences, Professor of Surgery, University College London|
|Secretariat||Ilaria Regondi, Chief Operating Officer, Healthcare UK|