As a non-departmental public body we are governed by our board and team of directors.
The Environment Agency is a non-departmental public body (NDPB). The board is directly responsible to government ministers for all aspects of our organisation and performance. We are accountable to Parliament through ministers.
Our board has 9 non executive members:
- Emma Howard Boyd (Chair)
- Richard Macdonald (Deputy Chair)
- Peter Ainsworth
- Karen Burrows
- Clive Elphick
- John Varley
- Lynne Frostick
- Gill Weeks
- Maria Adebowale-Schwarte
All are appointed by the Secretary for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. The board meets 4 times a year and delegates day-to-day management to the Chief Executive (Sir James Bevan) and staff.
We have a team of 3 executive directors. They oversee, co-ordinate and put into effect national policies.
- Dr Toby Willison, Executive Director of Operations
- Harvey Bradshaw, Executive Director of Environment and Business
- John Curtin, Executive Director of Flood and Coastal Risk Management
Other members of Executive Directors team
- Alison Baptiste, Director of Strategy and Investment, Flood and Coastal Risk Management
- Sarah Chare, Deputy Director of Agriculture, Fisheries and the Natural Environment
- Julia Simpson, Thames Area Director
Working with partners
We invite partners and organisations with an interest in what we do to meet our board so that they can have their say on our decisions.
You can also read our board agendas and papers on this page.
Upcoming board meetings
You can download the agenda and papers for upcoming board meetings on this page when they’re available.
- 7 February 2017
- 23 May 2017
- 18 July 2017
- 24 October 2017
2016 board meetings
2015 board meetings
2014 board meetings
For details of previous board meetings visit the National Archives.