Welsh language scheme

The Welsh Language Scheme sets out how the Disclosure and Barring Service can provide its services to the public in Welsh.

Currently, the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is not formally signed up to the Welsh Language Scheme however we are operating within the legacy of the Criminal Records Bureau and Barring. We have also recently been added to the Home Office’s Welsh Language Scheme until we draft our own.

We aim to provide the best possible service to our Welsh customers and have adopted the main principles of the scheme.

You can apply in Welsh for a DBS check, and you can phone or write to us in Welsh.

DBS checking service guidance material is also available in Welsh on this website, or by emailing the DBS communications team. Other Welsh translation requests should also be sent to the DBS communications team.

DBS certificates

DBS certificates cannot be printed in Welsh. Under Part V of the Police Act 1997, the DBS is required to disclose criminal records and other government information as it is recorded in central records. This information is recorded in English only, so DBS certificates will be issued in English only.

The DBS does not have the authority to translate information and has identified inherent risk to the integrity and accuracy of the DBS checking service, should certificate information be translated.

Also, where information is to be disputed there would be an additional need to revert the information to English for consideration of the original information.

Contact information

The Welsh Language line telephone number for DBS checking service enquiries is 03000 200 191.

The address for Welsh correspondence is:

DBS Customer Services
PO Box 110
L69 3JD

The email address for Welsh correspondence is customerservices@dbs.gov.uk.

If you have submitted a DBS check application in Welsh and you are unhappy with the Welsh service you have received from us, you can make a complaint.

If you remain dissatisfied with the response from the DBS Chief Executive you can take your complaint to the Welsh Language Commissioner who will investigate the issue on your behalf.