Complaints procedure

We will take all complaints we receive very seriously.

What we can help with

If you are unhappy the service you get from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, we will look at:

  • if you are unhappy with the way we responded to an enquiry or the time that we took to respond (or if we didn’t respond)
  • if you think we have not followed a formal process or the law when dealing with a complaint
  • any incorrect action or failure to take action or investigate
  • if we made inaccurate or misleading statements
  • inadequate consultation or liaison
  • any rudeness or offensive remarks

We don’t cover:

We also don’t cover actions by:

  • local authorities
  • other sponsored bodies, such as our executive agencies
  • the Local Government Ombudsman
  • other government departments

Send your complaint to us

When making your complaint, please include as much detail as possible, for example:

  • the nature of the complaint
  • the names of any Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities staff concerned
  • what (if anything) you have done so far
  • what you would like us to do to sort things out

We have a 3 stage process:

Stage 1 – complain directly to the officer concerned

Complain directly and informally to the person you have been in contact with. If you have not already been in contact with someone or don’t know who to contact, email or ask the Knowledge and Information Access Team (details below). We aim to respond to your complaint within 15 working days.

Stage 2 – complain to the officer’s line manager

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of Stage 1, you can contact the line manager of your original contact. If you don’t know who that is, contact:

Complaints Officer
Knowledge and Information Access Team
Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities
1st floor NW, Fry Building
2 Marsham Street

Tel: 0303 444 0000 (9am-5pm Mon-Fri)


The line manager will look at the facts, arrive at their own decision, and write to you with their findings.

We try to reply within 15 working days, but if this isn’t possible we will let you know there will be a delay.

Stage 3 - complain to the complaints officer

If you are still not satisfied, you can ask the departmental complaints officer to investigate.

The complaints officer is independent from other parts of the department and will consider the matter with fresh eyes. She/he aims to respond within 20 working days, but if this is not possible, we will let you know.

The stage 3 response is normally the department’s final response.

Review by the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

If you are still unhappy, you can ask your MP to take your complaint to the independent Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to review the handling of your complaint.

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower,
London, SW1P 4QP

Tel: 0345 015 4033