Complaints procedure

We aim to provide an efficient service to the public in the UK and overseas. If you are unhappy about the standard of service that you have received from us, we would like to hear about it so that we can improve our service in the future.

How to make a complaint

First, contact the member of staff who handled your initial enquiry (if you know their name and email address) with a clear description of your complaint.

If you’re not satisfied with the response you receive, then you can contact our Public Enquiry Point team who will pass on your complaint to the appropriate Head of Department for further investigation:

  • tel: 0300 200 3343 (UK only)
  • tel: +44 (0) 1355 84 3132 (from outside the UK)
  • email:

What to do if you are not satisfied

If you are dissatisfied, you can contact your MP and ask for your complaint to be referred to:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower
Complaints Helpline: 0345 015 4033

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman

You can write to your MP at:

House of Commons

Find your local MP

Making a Freedom of Information (FOI) request

If you cannot access the information you are looking for, you can make a formal Freedom of Information request. This must be:

Information Rights and Public Enquiries Team
Abercrombie House
Eaglesham Road
East Kilbride
G75 8EA

You should provide as much detail as possible to help us identify the information you are looking for. Advice and assistance on making your request is available by emailing or calling the Information Rights and Public Enquiries Team on 01355 843491.

The target for our response is 20 working days after the date of receipt, although under the Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations we can extend this period in certain circumstances.

We may consult with relevant third parties to decide what information should be provided.

If we do not hold the information you asked for but believe that another public body does, we will give you the details on how you can contact them to request the information.

How to report fraud

Our Counter Fraud Section (CFS) is for raising concerns and suspicions or allegations of fraud or corrupt practices. This includes both internal and external cases where our funds, assets or interests (including our reputation) are involved and any breach of the Civil Service Code. All suspicions of fraud or corruption must be reported. CFS has a dedicated secure e-mail address for raising all concerns and suspicions of fraud:

Alternatively any concerns can be reported by:

  • calling the confidential hotline on +44 (0) 1355 843747
  • in writing to:

Head of Internal Audit
Abercrombie House
Eaglesham Road
East Kilbride
G75 8EA

Your information will be treated in confidence and you do not have to provide your name, but this kind of information will help us handle your complaint quickly and efficiently.