All our vacancies are advertised on Civil Service jobs.
We’re currently recruiting large numbers of the following roles to help us meet the government’s priorities for science and technology in defence and security:
Join our world-class team
At Dstl, you’ll be part of the science inside UK defence and security, helping to protect our nation.
We employ a broad range of talented people, from specialist scientists and engineers, to analysts, programme and project managers, and finance, logistics, medical and communications personnel.
- excitement and challenge – help push the boundaries of cutting-edge science and technology, working on complex and sometimes sensitive projects
- satisfaction from making a difference – see the real-world impact of our research as it’s put into action by the MOD and wider government
- flexibility and opportunity – experience the benefits of working in the public sector while working alongside the best minds from industry, academia and internationally
Diversity and inclusion
Dstl is a place where everyone can thrive, succeed and achieve their ambitions, regardless of background, different circumstances, experiences, or characteristics.
Dstl is recruiting
Our recruits in their own words
Hear from some of our employees about their career paths and experiences working at Dstl:
Read more stories from the people inside Dstl.
The benefits of working for us
As well as a rewarding career in defence science and technology, Dstl offers its staff (including graduates, industrial placement students, summer students and apprentices) a wide range of benefits and training opportunities in a supportive, encouraging and flexible environment.
We are Dstl: innovative, collaborative, impactful
Our values were developed by our people, who told us what means the most to them. These 3 words capture our culture and what’s special about Dstl. They reflect who we are, what we are proud of and how we behave both individually and collectively.
The flexible working scheme allows staff to arrange their working day to suit their lifestyle and circumstances. Dstl is strongly encouraging blended and flexible working, including working from a site, working from home or a mixture of both. We want our employees to work from the most appropriate location for you. You may still be required to travel to your home site, other Dstl site and MOD sites when necessary.
Dstl can also consider alternative working patterns in some cases, including:
- part-time work
- job share
- work during term-time only
- work annualised hours
- work compressed hours (for example, working 37 hours over 4 days)
All employees are entitled to 25 days’ leave (pro rata) when they start; this increases to 30 days after 5 years.
In addition to this our people are entitled to 8 bank holidays.
Occupational health and sick pay
All staff are entitled to up to 12 months’ paid sick leave (6 months at full pay and 6 months at half pay). Staff also have access to occupational health advisers who are able to provide a confidential advice service on health concerns in the workplace.
We value our employees’ health so we also operate an employee assistance programme providing support and advice. The HELP Employee Assistance Programme (HELP EAP) offers you confidential, independent and unbiased information and guidance on a range of emotional, health and social subject areas; support is for both work related and personal matters. Support is available 24 hours, 365 day a year.
Employees have the opportunity to choose between 2 pension schemes when they join Dstl:
- the partnership pension account
For full details of the schemes, visit the Civil Service pensions website.
Supporting family life
Employees have access to:
- maternity leave - up to 52 weeks’ leave (paid and unpaid)
- shared parental leave - up to 50 weeks’ leave (paid and unpaid)
- paternity leave - 2 weeks’ leave
- adoption leave - up to 52 weeks’ adoption leave (paid and unpaid)
- a number of support networks including a Parents and Carers network
- flexible working hours (the ability to bank hours; up to 37 hours can be taken in any calendar month)
Facilities for employees
Our main sites have a variety of on-site facilities for staff, including:
- free parking
- dedicated car-sharing spaces and a comprehensive car-sharing scheme
- electric vehicle charging points
- fully equipped gymnasiums that offer low-cost membership options
- hot and cold meals and light refreshments on site
Travel to work and other discounts
We offer the following benefits:
- season ticket loans
- cycle-to-work scheme - to save on the cost of a new bicycle or cycling equipment
- discounted rates for civil service societies and healthcare
- access to discounts available to Ministry of Defence employees
Training and development opportunities
Our employees are strongly encouraged to manage their own career progression. This is supported through a number of opportunities, including:
- up to 2 paid professional subscriptions each year
- chartership scheme - supported by mentors from across the business
- fellowship scheme - recognising employees who make an outstanding and creative contribution
- internal employee support networks - providing further advice and support
- secondment opportunities - with industry and academic partners in the UK and abroad, helping employees to develop skills, knowledge and experience
- career level reviews - helping employees to progress through the organisation
- networking events - learning about other areas of the business
- mentoring circles
Graduates, students and apprenticeships
We recruit around 80 graduates and offer around 150 student-placement opportunities every year from a wide-range of scientific, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines and backgrounds.
We also recruit new apprentices each year, mixing formal classroom-based study alongside practical hands-on training in our workshop, laboratory and office facilities.
You’ll have opportunities to learn and develop in a hands-on and supportive environment from some of the top experts in their fields.
Security clearance requirements
While each role will have its own individual qualification and technical requirements, there are some standard requirements all our candidates need. Because of the nature of our work, all our successful candidates will need to be security cleared before working for us. To gain the high level of security clearance needed you must:
- be a UK national. Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British citizens. If you are an international or dual-nationality candidate, please consider applying to our government, security or defence partners.
- have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, and for these you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
To understand more about reserved posts and what this means, read section 3 of the Civil Service Nationality Rules.
If you would like more information about any of the opportunities available or the application process please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are Dstl