To view our vacancies, select ‘Job Search’, then ‘Jobs by Department’, then ‘Defence Science and Technology Laboratory’.
We recruit scientists, engineers, analysts, programme and project managers, and finance, logistics, medical and communications personnel.
While each role will have its own individual qualification and technical requirements, there are some standard requirements and personal qualities we look for in our candidates. You must:
- be a UK national (unfortunately dual nationals cannot be considered for positions)
- have resided in the UK for the past 5 years
Because of the nature of our work, all our successful candidates will need to be security cleared before working for us. This can take several weeks.
The benefits of working for us
As well as a rewarding career in defence science and technology, Dstl offers its staff (including graduates, industrial placement students, summer students and apprentices) a wide range of benefits and training opportunities in a supportive, encouraging and flexible environment.
Our recruits - in their own words
Watch a series of short videos in which some of our recruits speak about their experiences of life at Dstl.
The flexible working scheme allows staff to arrange their working day to suit their lifestyle and circumstances. Dstl can also consider alternative working patterns in some cases, including:
- part-time work
- job share
- work during term-time only
- work annualised hours
- work from home (under a formal agreement)
- work compressed hours (for example, working 37 hours over 4 days)
All employees are entitled to 25 days’ leave (pro rata) when they start; this increases to 30 days after 5 years.
In addition to this our people are entitled to 8 bank holidays.
Occupational health and sick pay
All staff are entitled to up to 12 months’ paid sick leave (6 months at full pay and 6 months at half pay). Staff also have access to occupational health advisers who are able to provide a confidential advice service on health concerns in the workplace. We also operate an employee assistance programme providing support and advice.
Employees have the opportunity to choose between 2 pension schemes when they join Dstl:
- the partnership pension account
For full details of the schemes, visit the Civil Service pensions website. Students on summer placements are not entitled to be part of the scheme, because of the short length of their employment.
Supporting family life
Staff have access to a number of voucher schemes and parental leave entitlements, including:
- pre-school childcare voucher scheme - vouchers which help pay towards childcare costs
- salary sacrifice scheme - in return for childcare vouchers
- maternity leave - up to 52 weeks’ leave (paid and unpaid)
- shared parental leave - up to 50 weeks’ leave (paid and unpaid)
- paternity leave - 2 weeks’ leave
- adoption leave - up to 52 weeks’ adoption leave (paid and unpaid)
Facilities for staff
Our 4 main sites have a variety of on-site facilities for staff, including:
- free parking
- dedicated car-sharing spaces and a comprehensive car-sharing scheme
- fully equipped gymnasiums that offer low-cost membership options
- hot and cold meals and light refreshments on site
Travel to work and other discounts
We offer the following benefits:
- season ticket loans
- cycle-to-work scheme - to save on the cost of a new bicycle or cycling equipment
- discounted rates for civil service societies and healthcare
- access to discounts available to Ministry of Defence staff
Training and development opportunities
Our staff are strongly encouraged to manage their own career progression. This is supported through a number of opportunities, including:
- up to 2 paid professional subscriptions each year
- chartership scheme - supported by mentors from across the business
- fellowship scheme - recognising staff who make an outstanding and creative contribution
- internal staff support networks - providing further advice and support
- secondment opportunities - with industry and academic partners in the UK and abroad, helping staff to develop skills, knowledge and experience
- career level reviews - helping staff to progress through the organisation
- networking events - learning about other areas of the business
Graduate development programme
As a committed member of the 5% club we recruit around 80 graduates and offer around 150 student-placement opportunities every year from a wide-range of scientific, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines and backgrounds.
You will have opportunities to learn and develop in a hands-on and supportive environment from some of the top experts in their fields.
Opportunities for our graduate programme are advertised on the civil service job site from September each year.
Working as a graduate at Dstl
Graduates usually work in one of the following areas:
- graduate analyst: covering analysis, operational research, technology and social science
- graduate engineer: covering engineering and technology
- graduate scientist: covering science, social science, technology, information science, mathematics and statistics
Graduate salaries start from £21,000. You will receive 4 reviews throughout the year where you can achieve pay increases depending on your performance.
Graduates can also expect to receive access to all our staff benefits.
How the graduate programme works
The Dstl graduate programme lasts for 2 years, and provides you with the best possible training and guidance to help start your career. You will be looked after and helped to settle into your new role, with opportunities to enhance your learning including:
- work-related conferences
- events (both internal Dstl focussed and external)
- role-specific courses
- opportunities to network and learn about Dstl with other new starters
You will be encouraged to continue your professional development through chartership programmes and accreditation.
Dstl recruits around 10 to 15 new apprentices each year. The Dstl apprenticeship schemes mix formal classroom-based study alongside practical hands-on training in our workshop, laboratory and office facilities. We recruit apprentices in 3 main areas:
- engineering - 3-year fixed-term appointments via either a mechanical or electro-mechanical pathway
- laboratory technicians - 2-year fixed-term appointments combining study at a local college with laboratory work
- business administration - 2-year fixed-term appointments combining study at a local college with office work
At the end of the programmes, many of the apprentices accept permanent roles within our departments where they have the opportunity to progress further with additional training and development.
All our apprenticeships are managed in accordance with the National Apprenticeship Framework under the approval of the relevant Sector Skills Council (SEMTA).
Apprenticeship case studies
Dstl’s apprentices are forging successful careers in engineering, science and technology, and management. Read our case studies to find out how.
Opportunities for our apprenticeship programme are advertised on the civil service job site from January each year.
Apprentice salaries start from £10,500, rising to £14,251 in the second year of employment. Apprentices also have access to a range of staff benefits.
These 1-year placements are available to undergraduate students part way through their degree studies. Industrial placement students make an immediate contribution to projects and work across a broad range of project areas. Students gain experience working with team of engineers and scientists on projects in support of the MOD, UK armed forces and other government departments.
Students get involved in a mix of practical lab-based tasks and research. Along with the on-the-job opportunities, they have formal training and development opportunities in line with their interests and project requirements.
Industrial placement vacancies
Opportunities for our placement scheme are advertised on the civil service job site from October each year.
Industrial placement salaries
Industrial placement salaries start from around £15,700. Industrial placement students also have access to a range of staff benefits.
If you would like more information about any of the opportunities available or the application process please email email@example.com.