Terms of reference
The terms of reference for the Council for Science and Technology (CST).
To advise the Prime Minister on the strategic policies and framework for:
- sustaining and developing science, engineering, technology and mathematics (STEM) in the UK, and promoting international co-operation in STEM
- encouraging the practice and perception of STEM as an integral part of the culture of the UK
- promoting excellence in STEM education
- making more effective use of research and scientific advice in the development and delivery of policy and public services across government
- promoting STEM-based innovation in business and the public services to promote the sustainable development of the UK economy, the health and quality of life of UK citizens, and global sustainable development
The council’s terms of reference reflect its UK-wide remit and responsibility for looking at issues that cut across government departments. The council must also work on a wide range of policy areas.