We support economists in the Civil Service.
Who we are
The Government Economic Service (GES ) is one of the Civil Service Professions and is the professional body for economists in the UK public sector.
GES encourages the good use of economics in government and maintains high standards of Fast Stream entry. There is an externally moderated continuous professional development scheme.
For government, economics is about decision-making on the basis of analysis and evidence, using explicit weightings on both ethical considerations and expected outcomes.
GES Fast Stream scheme
Round 1 of the 2017 application process opened on 26 September 2016.
GES Sandwich Student Placement scheme
The 2017-18 GES Sandwich Student scheme is now closed for applications.
Information about the application process for the 2018-19 intake will be posted here nearer the time.
The Government Economic and Social Research Team
The Government Economic and Social Research (GESR) Team is based at HM Treasury and is the professional support unit for all GES and Government Social Research members.
- provide support to government Chief Economists and GSR Heads of Profession
- promote good analysis and evidence in government
- provide central recruitment and information services
- maintain and develop profession standards and provide competency guidance
- promote more effective use of combined skills of analysts across professions
- manage applications for the Fast Stream and Summer Student Placement schemes
- organise professional conferences and seminars
- make sure policy makers have access to tools and resources in the analytical community
You can contact the GESR team by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or write to us at the following address:
1 Horse Guards Road