During the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic we are currently unable to respond to written correspondence. If you have written to us by post in the last 20 working days and not received a response, please send (where possible) your complaint to the email address below so we can respond by email.
Who we are
Border Force is a law enforcement command within the Home Office. Border Force secures the border and promotes national prosperity by facilitating the legitimate movement of individuals and goods, whilst preventing those that would cause harm from entering the UK. This is achieved through the immigration and customs checks carried out by our staff at ports and airports. Our officers work at 140 sea and air ports across the UK and overseas.
We are responsible for:
- checking the immigration status of people arriving in and departing the UK
- searching baggage, vehicles and cargo for illicit goods or illegal immigrants
- patrolling the UK coastline and searching vessels
- gathering intelligence
- alerting the police and security services to people of interest
Our priorities are to:
- deter and prevent individuals and goods that would harm the national interests from entering the UK
- facilitate the legitimate movement of individuals and trade to and from the UK
- protect and collect customs revenues for trade crossing the border
- provide excellent service to customers
- provide demonstrable effectiveness, efficiency and value for money