Small and medium-sized high-tech companies are being invited to free workshops on support for business growth, research and development tax credits and innovation.
The workshops, organised by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) focus on the range of tax incentives, grants and other support provided by the Government. They are being held in Cambridge, Leicester, Reading, Plymouth, Oxford, Sheffield, Portsmouth and Scotland.
As well as giving background on the support available, the workshops will provide information on how businesses can make claims and where to go for further help.
Carol Lunney, HMRC Assistant Director, Business Tax, said:
Innovation lies at the heart of our culture. British ideas and inventions have helped shape our world, from the telephone to the World Wide Web. The UK has the largest creative sector per head in the world. These workshops are designed to ensure our high-tech SMEs get the help they need to help them invest in research and development and innovation.
Topics covered are:
- research and development (R&D) tax credits and the Patent Box tax incentive, led by HMRC
- grants, knowledge transfer, networking, procurement and more, led by the Technology Strategy Board
- EU funding for business R&D and innovation, including the Horizon 2020 programme for research and innovation, launched in January
- patents and intellectual property, by the Intellectual Property Office
- help on innovation and opportunities to commercialise technology through design projects, by the Design Council.
Each 20 minute presentation will be followed by 10 minutes of questions, and stands will also be staffed by experts available to talk. A maximum of 30 delegates will be able to attend each presentation.
Dates and venues
Tuesday 11 March Cambridge Hauser Forum - The Seminar Centre
Tuesday 18 March Leicester University - Stamford Court
Thursday 3 April Reading University - Palmer Building, Whiteknights
Wednesday 9 April Plymouth - Tamar Science Park
Wednesday 30 April Oxford - Satellite Applications Catapult Ltd, Harwell
Wednesday 14 May Sheffield Business School, Stoddart Building, Sheffield Hallam University
Wednesday 4 June Portsmouth - Langstone Technology Park
Wednesday 18 June Scotland - details are being finalised.
Places can be booked at http://www.business-events.org.uk/.