(http://www.walesoffice.gov.uk/files/2012/03/cg.jpg) (http://www.walesoffice.gov.uk/files/2012/03/Group-shot.jpg) As the Wales Tourism…
As the Wales Tourism Week celebrations continues, the Secretary of State for Wales Cheryl Gillan has today (2 March 2012) visited a thriving Penderyn-based company displaying the ambition that is helping to drive forward the tourism and business sectors in Wales.
Set in the foothills of the Brecon Beacons, The Welsh Whisky Company’s Penderyn Distillery has established itself as a genuine Welsh tourist attraction, as well as one of the country’s most successful business exports.
Today, Welsh Secretary Cheryl Gillan was given a guided tour of the distillery and then held discussions with the Managing Director Stephen Davies on the company’s export and future business plans.
Speaking after the visit Mrs Gillan said:
“2012 presents real opportunities for tourism and business in Wales.
“In 2010, Wales welcomed 9.6million overnight visitors contributing almost £1.8billion to the economy. With attractions such as Penderyn Distillery, which is a delight to tourists, and a thriving business, we have in Wales a complete range of tourist destinations to impress visitors from home and abroad.”
“This year’s celebrations for Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee and the Olympic and Paralympic Games will put unprecedented levels of international attention on the UK and I hope that visitors to the UK put a visit to Wales in their diaries while they are here.”
Mr Davies said:
“Penderyn is a business that adds value here in the Welsh Valleys both in manufacturing and also more recently in the tourism business. Sales of Penderyn Whisky have grown by an average of 17% year on year over the last three years and the company is now developing a distillery expansion project to ensure that the growth of the business can continue.
“We export to over 20 different countries and our key export focus is on France and Germany at the present time. Penderyn 41 is the best selling expression of our single malt in France at the moment.
“We are proud that Penderyn is recognised as a premium and prestigious brand from Wales with its contemporary brand design. We are delighted with the support that we get from people in Wales and we thank the Secretary of State through her visit, for showing her support for our brand and our business.”
Notes to Editors
- This is the first year Wales has had a stand alone celebration to showcase the region as an inspirational tourist destination, and highlight potential economic significance for the future
- The Penderyn Distillery, which now employs 23 people, was founded in 2001, and its first bottles were released in 2004
- Penderyn Distillery produces a range of award winning premium Welsh spirits including Penderyn Single Malt Welsh Whisky, Merlyn Welsh Cream Liqueur, Brecon Five Vodka and Brecon Special Reserve Gin
- The Brecon Special Reserve Gin has been acclaimed as one of the world’s best after winning Gold in the Worldwide Gin category at the 2011 International Wine and Spirit Competition - the spirit industry’s “Oscars”
- For further information about The Welsh Whisky Company, please visit www.welsh-whisky.co.uk