Date: 11th December 2014
Venue: Ataturk Olympic Stadium
Kick off time: (local time) 20.00 hours
As well as this advice, check out our travel advice for Turkey
Passports and visas
- British passport holders need a visa to enter Turkey. This can be obtained online in advance from this link. Until further notice you can get a visa on arrival at the airport for £20 in cash. However, this service is likely to be phased out at some point in the near future. To avoid possible problems get an e-Visa before you travel. Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Turkey.
- Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is not valid in Turkey, so travel insurance is essential, even if you’re only going for one night - it could save you a lot of money if you get into difficulties.
- It is illegal not to carry some form of photographic ID in Turkey. Carry a photocopy of your passport with you at all times.
- If your passport is lost or stolen whilst in Istanbul then you will need to obtain an Emergency travel Document (ETD) from the British Consulate General in Istanbul.
Getting to the stadium
- Tottenham Hotspur Football Club is providing coaches from the city centre to the Ataturk Olympic Stadium and return for all Tottenham supporters. These coaches will leave from SULTANAHMET SQUARE opposite the entrance of the HAGIA SOPHIA MUSEUM at 17.00 prompt.
- Istanbul police have strongly recommended supporters take the coaches operated by Tottenham Hotspur FC.
- Google map of stadium
At the match
- Away supporters will be seated in the South stand.
- Access to the stadium can be slow. There will be ticket checks and body searches at the entrance.
- To avoid queues you should get to the stadium early. Gates will open at 18.00 hours
In addition to items which would usually be prohibited in the UK, please note the following restrictions at the stadium;
- No alcohol
- No coins (stewards will retain supporters’ coins and return them on exiting the stadium)
- No flags or banners that indicate political statements.
- No flares or fireworks
- No megaphones or drums
- No food or drinks, bottles, cans or glasses
- No belts, chains or any objects which can be thrown or used as a weapon
- No lighters
Visiting supporters will be kept behind for around 30 minutes after the match to allow the home fans to disperse.
- Generally crime levels in Istanbul are low, but street robbery and pick-pocketing are common in the major tourist areas. Only carry what you need and leave spare cash, bank cards and valuables in hotel safety deposits
- In Turkey it is an offence to insult the Turkish nation or the national flag, or to deface or tear up currency.
- Smoking is prohibited on public transport and in other public areas like stadiums, playgrounds, cafes, bars, and restaurants. You can be fined if you are caught smoking in a designated smoke-free area.
- We recommend that you purchase bottled water to drink which is readily available from local shops, hotels etc.
Relevant British Embassy/Consulate address and telephone numbers
- British Consulate General, Mesrutiyet Caddesi No.34, Tepebasi, Beyoglu, Istanbul
- Tel: 0090 212 334 6400
Emergency services numbers
- Ambulance: 112
- Police: 155
- Fire: 110
Please be aware of the possibility of demonstrations in Istanbul.
Demonstrations regularly take place across Turkey, particularly in the area around Taksim Square in Istanbul. You should remain vigilant and avoid areas where demonstrations are taking place.
For further information please read our travel advice for Turkey