World news story
Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit UAE
Their Royal Highnesses' visit to the region will promote the UK's partnership in the region.
Their Royal Highnesses’ visit to the region, which is at the request of the British Government, will promote the UK’s partnership in the region in key areas such as religious tolerance, supporting women in leadership, creating youth opportunities, preserving cultural heritage and wildlife conservation.
On 6th November, Their Royal Highnesses will arrive in Abu Dhabi where they will begin their visit by attending an event at the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque to promote religious tolerance. The event will be hosted by the United Arab Emirates Minister of State for Tolerance, Her Excellency Sheikha Lubna Al Qasimi. The event will be attended by members of various faith communities resident in United Arab Emirates.
Their Royal Highnesses’ trip to the U.A.E will include a visit by The Prince of Wales to Bu Tinah archipelago. Bu Tinah, a UNESCO recognised site approximately 150 kilometres from the city of Abu Dhabi, is a protected sanctuary home to endangered species such as the dugong and hawksbill turtle.
Their Royal Highnesses will also visit Dubai and Sharjah. The Duchess of Cornwall’s programme will include a visit to the Dubai Foundation for Women and Children, which is the first licensed non-profit shelter in the U.A.E for victims of domestic violence, child abuse and human trafficking. Since 2009, The Duchess of Cornwall has worked to raise awareness of the issues facing those affected by sexual violence and domestic abuse. Her Royal Highness has visited many centres and refuges around the world to highlight exemplar work in this area.
2017 is the UK-UAE Year of Culture. The British Council, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the British Embassy and Emirati partners will be among those working together to create a diverse programme of activities which will take place in the UK and the UAE featuring events in the arts, education, society, sport, science and trade. The aim of the Year of Culture is to strengthen the existing relationship between the UK and UAE The Prince of Wales, who is the British Patron of the UK-UAE 2017 Year of Culture, and The Duchess of Cornwall, will attend an event at the historic Al Jahili Fort in Al Ain to launch the Year of Culture.
Commenting on the visit Her Majesty’s Ambassador to UAE, Mr Philip Parham, said:
We are delighted that Their Royal Highnesses will make this exciting visit to three of the UAE’s seven Emirates.
The relationship between the UK and UAE is historic and modern, deep and broad, sound and creative. And the programme for this visit reflects that - with engagements ranging from a celebration of our historic ties at the Jahili Fort in Al Ain to a Youth Circle in Masdar City, where HRH The Prince of Wales is a Patron of the Masdar Institute for Science and Technology.
Notes for Editors
- Saturday 5th November engagements in Muscat
- Sunday 6th November engagements in Muscat and Abu Dhabi
- Monday 7th November engagements Abu Dhabi, Bu Tinah and Al Ain
- Tuesday 8th November engagements in Dubai, Sharjah and Manama
- Thursday 10th November engagements in Manama
- Friday 11th November engagements in Manama return to the UK
Previous visits to Oman, UAE and Bahrain by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall:
- In December 1980 The Prince of Wales visited Oman.
- In November 1986 The Prince of Wales visited Oman and Bahrain.
- In March 1989 The Prince of Wales visited Bahrain and the UAE
- In February 1992 The Prince of Wales visited Oman.
- In November 1993 The Prince of Wales visited the UAE
- In December 1996 The Prince of Wales visited the UAE
- In February 1997 The Prince of Wales visited Bahrain.
- In November 1999 The Prince of Wales visited Oman and the UAE
- In November 2003 The Prince of Wales visited Oman.
- In November 2004 The Prince of Wales visited the UAE
- In February 2007 The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visited Bahrain and the UAE
- In March 2013 The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall visited Oman.
- In February 2014 The Prince of Wales visited Bahrain and the UAE
- In February 2015 The Prince of Wales visited the UAE
Tel: +971 4 309 4444