Planned roadworks in the East of England: weekly summary for Monday 20 - Sunday 27 October 2014
This news article was withdrawn on
This content is no longer current.
The following summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week is correct as of 17 October but could be subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances. All our improvement work is carried out with the aim of causing as little disruption as possible.
A14 Brampton to Ellington, Cambridgeshire: Ditch clearance
Work to clear the ditch of vegetation and silt on the A14 between Brampton Hut and Ellington village will starts on 20 October for approximately eight weeks. The work will be carried out under lane closures at night time only between 8pm and 5am, when traffic flows are lower.
A47 Swaffham to Dereham, Norfolk: Resurfacing
There will be resurfacing work at various locations along the A47 between Swaffham and Dereham between 20 and 24 October. There will be an overnight closure on the A47 between Swaffham Interchange and Toftwood Interchange. Eastbound traffic will be diverted at Swaffham Interchange via A1065 and A1067 to the Longwater Interchange. A47 westbound traffic will be diverted at Longwater Interchange via the A11 and the A134. Access to or from the A47 from all side roads will be restricted during the work but local access will be maintained at all times using escort vehicles.
A47 Hockering, Norfolk: Fence repairs
Work to repair a boundary fence at The Street (West) junction in Hockering on the A47 will take place between 24 and 30 October. The work is not expected to cause any disruption to traffic.
M1 J10-10A Luton spur, Bedfordshire: Widening
Luton Borough Council is carrying out carriageway re-alignment and construction of a grade separated junction on the approach to the airport between J10 and J10A of the M1. During the work, there will be lane closures between 9pm and 6am with narrow lanes remaining in place 24 hours a day in both directions and 30 and 50mph speed limits for safety reasons. Work will be carried out in phases with completion planned for June 2015. For further details, contact Luton Borough Council Highways on 01582 510330 or visit http://luton.gov.uk
A1, Black Cat roundabout, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire: Improvements
A scheme to ease congestion and improve journey time and safety (part of the Government’s £317m pinch point programme, which aims to boost local economies by reducing congestion and delays at key locations) has started. It involves a new road alignment to enlarge and widen the existing roundabout, new safety fencing, improved drainage, new surfacing on the roundabout and installation of lighting columns and traffic lights. The work will normally take place between 7.30am and 5.30pm from Monday to Friday, with the occasional night time lane closure.
From 24 October 9pm until 12 noon on 26 October the A1 southbound will be completely closed to carry out essential tie-in works from new to existing carriageway. The diversion will be via the Wyboston/A428 interchange and Barford Road rejoining the A1 at Tempsford. During the road closures only, traffic will only be able to travel along Barford Road southbound, and its weight restriction will be lifted temporarily.
There will also be various single lane closures between 27 and 31October on both north and southbound A1 and A421. Subject to weather conditions, the work is scheduled to last for approximately six months.
A5-M1 Link (Dunstable Northern Bypass), Bedfordshire: improvements
This scheme aims to provide a link to the M1 that is an alternative to the movement along the A5 and A505 from the A5/A505 junction to the M1 Junction 11. It would reduce journey times and improve journey reliability for strategic traffic currently travelling through Dunstable. It also aims to reduce the number of vehicle and safety related incidents and will support local development plans, economic growth and employment and maximise the return on public investment.
Advanced works started on site in May 2014. Continuation of these works will require some road closures, which will be publicised in advance. These works are important as they will help stay on target for the planned start of the main construction work in spring 2015.
Houghton Road in Dunstable will be closed from its junction with Luton Road down to its junction with Sundon Road and Hillsborough Crescent, during the following dates and times:
- 00:01 Saturday 18 October to reopen by 00:01 on Monday 20 September.
There will be a clearly signed diversion.
The planned completion date for the project is early 2017. For more information, visit the dedicated road project page
A11 Fiveways to Thetford, Suffolk: Major upgrade
Work is taking place along the A11 between Fiveways roundabout (Barton Mills) and London Road (Thetford roundabout) to dual the last section of the road. The Elveden bypass between Chalk Hall Farm (south of Elveden) to London Rd roundabout at Thetford is now open to traffic and two-way traffic is also running on some new sections of carriageway. During the works, there will be a temporary speed restriction of 40mph throughout the scheme as well as some overnight closures and temporary traffic management as follows:
- Two way temporary traffic signals are in use as follows:
- Two-way portable traffic signals will be in operation on the B1106, Monday to Friday between 7am and 6pm daily, when required.
- Overnight on the A11, when required. When in use, these will be in operation between 7pm and 6am.
- Work to re-configure the Elveden cross-roads (B1106 & old A11 junction) will continue this week. There will be overnight closures of Elveden cross-roads from 9pm to 6am Wednesday 22nd October and Thursday 23rd October 2014 for surfacing works. The diversion route will be via the A134-A11-B1106 and clearly signed.
- Traffic on the B1106 is now using the alignment across the new bridge. Traffic signals will be in place and used throughout the day and overnight as required for completion of verge works. There is a temporary speed restriction of 30mph imposed on the Centre Parcs side of the B1106.
- The new B1112 underpass under the A11 is due to be opened to traffic on 18 October. The underpass replaces the previous staggered junction with the A11 which was difficult to use and had a poor accident record. Traffic will be able to travel between the A1065 at Eriswell and the A1101 at Icklingham directly, using the new route under the A11. The current temporary 40mph speed restriction on B1112 will be lifted but there will be no access onto or off the A11 from the B1112. Local traffic wishing to access the A11 can use the nearby Fiveways junction at Barton Mills as they do now.
- The C616 is closed at its junction with the A11. Access will be maintained via the A1065, Brandon Road. The planned completion date is December 2014. For further details of this scheme, visit the [dedicated road project page] (http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/a11-fiveways-to-thetford-improvement/)
A14 Girton to Histon (junctions 31 to 32): Lane gain scheme
On 14 April 2014 work started to improve slip roads onto the M11 and A14 and to add an additional lane on the A14 in each direction between Girton and Histon. This is part of the Government’s Pinch point Programme. The work is scheduled to take place mainly during the day, with existing lanes narrowed and a 50mph speed limit imposed.
On Monday 20th October 2014 there is a full carriageway closure anticipated on the Westbound A14 slip road onto the M11 between 21.00hrs and 06.00hrs. There are no other full carriageway closures planned for the rest of the week. There may however be temporary lane closures implemented during the night to facilitate the daytime works. For more information, visit the dedicated road project page
A14, J37-36, Newmarket, Cambs: Resurfacing
The A14 westbound between junctions 37 and 36 at Newmarket will be closed overnight from Monday 22 September for up to four weeks to repair the carriageway, resurface and replace the white lining on a 4km stretch of the A14. The closures will be from 10pm until 6am. There will be a clearly signed diversion route, westbound traffic will be diverted on the A1304 and A1303 re-joining the carriageway at junction 35 and southbound will be on the A1304 to the A11.
A47 Postwick, Norfolk: Postwick Hub junction upgrade
Norfolk County Council started work to upgrade the Postwick Hub junction over the A47 on 12 May 2014. For the duration of the work, there will be an eastbound lane 1 closure and a temporary 50mph speed limit on the A47. In addition, work will require some overnight closures on the A47 from time to time, which will be advertised in advance by the council. Work is due to be completed by winter 2015. For further details, contact Norfolk County Council on 0344 800 8020 or visit http://www.norfolk.gov.uk
Safety at road works
The Highways Agency is working with the industry and road users to reduce the risks of working on the roads. For the safety of road workers and all road users, when you are approaching roadworks:
- Keep within the speed limit – it is there for your safety.
- Get into the correct lane in good time – don’t keep switching.
- Concentrate on the road ahead, not the roadworks.
- Be alert for works’ traffic leaving or entering roadworks.
- Keep a safe distance – there could be queues in front.
- Observe all signs – they are there to help you.
Published: 17 October 2014
From: Highways Agency