M1 J10-10A Luton spur, Bedfordshire Widening: Luton Borough Council is carrying out carriageway re-alignment and construction of a grade separated junction on the approach to the airport between J10 and J10A of the M1. During the work, there will be lane closures between 9pm and 6am with narrow lanes remaining in place 24 hours a day in both directions and 30 and 50mph speed limits for safety reasons. Work will be carried out in phases with completion planned for June 2015. For further details, contact Luton Borough Council Highways on 01582 510330 or visit www.luton.gov.uk.
A1, Black Cat roundabout, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire improvements: A scheme to ease congestion and improve journey time and safety (part of the Government’s £317m pinch point programme, which aims to boost local economies by reducing congestion and delays at key locations) has started. It will A1, involve a new road alignment to enlarge and widen the existing roundabout, new safety fencing, improved drainage, new surfacing on the roundabout and installation of lighting columns and traffic lights. The work will normally take place between 7.30am and 5.30pm from Monday to Friday, with the occasional night time lane closure. For this week, Full Carriageway closures will be in place from 9pm to 6am on Friday and Saturday night southbound in order for work to be carried out safely. The diversion will be from Wyboston/A428 interchange rejoining at Tempsford. There will also be various single lane closure’s on during the week for both North and Southbound and the A421. Subject to weather conditions, the work is scheduled to last for approximately six months.
A5-M1 Link (Dunstable Northern Bypass), Bedfordshire improvements: This scheme aims to provide a link to the M1 that is an alternative to the movement along the A5 and A505 from the A5/A505 junction to the M1 Junction 11. It would reduce journey times and improve journey reliability for strategic traffic currently travelling through Dunstable. It also aims to reduce the number of vehicle and safety related incidents and will support local development plans, economic growth and employment and maximise the return on public investment. Advanced works started on site in May 2014. Continuation of these works will require some road closures, which will be publicised in advance. These works are important as they will help stay on target for the planned start of the main construction work in spring 2015.
Houghton Road in Dunstable will be closed from its junction with Luton Road down to its junction with Sundon Road and Hillsborough Crescent, during the following dates and times:
- 00:01 Saturday 11 October to reopen by 00:01 on Monday 13 October
- 00:01 Saturday 18 October to reopen by 00:01 on Monday 20 September
There will be a clearly signed diversion.
The planned completion date for the project is early 2017. For more information, visit the project page
A11 Fiveways to Thetford, Suffolk: Major upgrade: Work is taking place along the A11 between Fiveways roundabout (Barton Mills) and London Road (Thetford roundabout) to dual the last section of the road. The Elveden bypass between Chalk Hall Farm (south of Elveden) to London Rd roundabout at Thetford is now open to traffic and two-way traffic is also running on some new sections of carriageway. During the works, there will be a temporary speed restriction of 40mph throughout the scheme as well as some overnight closures and temporary traffic management as follows:
- two way temporary traffic signals are in use as follows:
- two-way portable traffic signals will be in operation on the B1106, Monday to Friday between 7am and 6pm daily, when required
- overnight on the A11, when required. When in use, these will be in operation between 7pm and 6am
- work to re-configure the Elveden cross-roads (B1106 & old A11 junction) will continue this week. Temporary traffic signals will be required 24 hours during the works
- traffic on the B1106 is now using the alignment across the new bridge. Traffic signals will be in place and used throughout the day and overnight as required for completion of verge works. There is a temporary speed restriction of 30mph imposed on the Centre Parcs side of the B1106
- the B1112 is closed on a 500-metre stretch on either side of the A11 to allow for the construction of a new underpass to carry the B1112 under the A11. There will be no access between the B1112 and the A11and a localised 40mph speed restriction on the A11 near the B1112 crossroads will be in place. Traffic wishing to access the A1101 or the A1065 from the A11 will be diverted via the Fiveways roundabout. The B1112 will remain open for local access at the A1065 near Eriswell and the A1101 near Icklingham and a temporary 40mph speed restriction will be in place along the B1112 for safety reasons
- the C616 is closed at its junction with the A11. Access will be maintained via the A1065, Brandon Road.
The planned completion date is December 2014. For further details of this scheme, visit the project page.
A14 Girton to Histon (junctions 31 to 32): Lane gain scheme: On 14 April 2014 work started to improve slip roads onto the M11 and A14 and to add an additional lane on the A14 in each direction between Girton and Histon. This is part of the Government’s Pinch point Programme. The work is scheduled to take place mainly during the day, with existing lanes narrowed and a 50mph speed limit imposed. During the week commencing Monday 13th October 2014 there are no full carriageway closures planned or anticipated. There may however be temporary lane closures implemented during the night to facilitate the daytime works. For more information, visit http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/A14-Junction-31-to-32-Eastbound-and-Westbound-Improvements.
A14, J37-36, Newmarket, Cambs: Resurfacing: The A14 westbound between junctions 37 and 36 at Newmarket will be closed overnight from Monday 22 September for up to four weeks to repair the carriageway, resurface and replace the white lining on a 4km stretch of the A14. The closures will be from 10pm until 6am. There will be a clearly signed diversion route, westbound traffic will be diverted on the A1304 and A1303 re-joining the carriageway at junction 35 and southbound will be on the A1304 to the A11.
A47 Postwick, Norfolk: Postwick Hub junction upgrade: Norfolk County Council started work to upgrade the Postwick Hub junction over the A47 on 12 May 2014. For the duration of the work, there will be an eastbound lane 1 closure and a temporary 50mph speed limit on the A47. In addition, work will require some overnight closures on the A47 from time to time, which will be advertised in advance by the council. Work is due to be completed by winter 2015. For further details, contact Norfolk County Council on 0344 800 8020 or visit their website.
The Highways Agency is working with the industry and road users to reduce the risks of working on the roads. For the safety of road workers and all road users, when you are approaching roadworks:
- keep within the speed limit – it is there for your safety
- get into the correct lane in good time – don’t keep switching
- concentrate on the road ahead, not the roadworks
- be alert for works’ traffic leaving or entering roadworks
- keep a safe distance – there could be queues in front
- observe all signs – they are there to help you
Members of the public should contact the Highways Agency Information Line on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways Agency press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.