Planned roadworks in the East Midlands: Weekly summary for Monday 17 November to Sunday 23 November
This news article was withdrawn on
This press release is no longer current.
The following summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week is correct as of 14 November but could be subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances. All our improvement work is carried out with the aim of causing as little disruption as possible.
M1 J15a to J16, Northamptonshire: carriageway repairs
The northbound carriageway will be reduced to one lane from 8pm on 17 November to 5am the following morning.
M1 junction 16 to 19, Northamptonshire: Central reserve work
From 4 August to 3 June 2015 there will be carriageway, lane or hard shoulder closures in place on both carriageways. These will be from 8pm to 6am each night. As work progresses there will be narrow lanes in place 24/7.
M1 junction 19 at Catthorpe, Leicestershire: Major improvement works
Between now and autumn 2016 there will be various hard shoulder, lane or carriageway closures while the new junction is built.
M1 J19-J20, Leicestershire: carriageway repairs
The northbound carriageway will be reduced to one lane from 8pm on 17 November to 5am the following morning.
M1 junction 26 to 27, Nottinghamshire: Drainage works
From 30 October to 25 November, between 9pm and 6am, there will be lane closures both north and southbound.
M1 junction 28 to 31 and 32 to 35a, Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/Yorkshire: Smart Motorway
Until the Winter of 2016 there will be various restrictions in place to allow for the construction of the Smart Motorway. These include lane closures, speed restrictions, hard shoulder running and overnight slip road or carriageway closures. Delays are expected on the M1 northbound at junctions 28 to 29 from 6am on Saturday 22 November to 10am the following day due to lane closures.
This week a number of lane closures will be in place as well as the following full closures of slip roads:
- On Monday 17 November the M1 southbound exit slip road at junction 32 will be closed.
- On Wednesday 19 and Friday 21 November the northbound entry and exit slip roads on M1 J28 will be closed.
- On Thursday 20 November the M1 J28 and J32 northbound exit slip roads will be closed.
- On Friday 21 November the northbound entry slip road at J31 and the northbound exit slip road at J32 will be closed.
- On Saturday 22 November the northbound exit slip road at J32 and the northbound entry slip road at J28 will be closed.
- On Sunday 23 November the M18/M1 J1 southbound entry slip road will be closed. All closures take place from 8pm and 6am and diversions involve going to the next junction and turning around.
M6 J1, Warwickshire: inspections
Lanes one and two of the westbound carriageway will be closed from 9pm on 17 November to 6am the following morning.
M45 between J1 and M1 J17, Northamptonshire/Warwickshire: barrier installation
From 10 November to 21 January 2015 barrier installation will be carried out. The westbound carriageway will be closed overnight, from 8pm to 6am on 13 November. Two further closures will take place in 2015 At all other times there will be closures of lane one and the hard shoulder. Traffic will be diverted from the M1 j16 along the A45 around Daventry to rejoin the M45 at J1.
A1 Elkesley, Nottinghamshire: Junction improvement
Between now and September 2015 various restrictions will be in place including lane closures, carriageway closures, narrow lanes and a 40mph speed limit
A1 Stamford to Colsterworth, Lincolnshire: Drainage work
From 3 to 23 November, there will be lane and carriageway closures in both directions, between 8pm and 6am.
A1 Gonerby Moor to Long Bennington, Lincolnshire: carriageway repairs (3050346)
Lane one of the northbound carriageway will be closed from 8pm on 17 November to 5am the following morning.
A1 Bloody Oaks to Stretton, Rutland: carriageway repairs
Lane one of the northbound carriageway will be closed from 8pm on 18 November to 5am the following morning.
A5 Caldecote, Warwickshire: Junction improvement
From 16 February 2014 to 31 March 2015 lane closures and two way traffic signals will be in place while the junction is improved.
A5 Kilsby to Watford Gap, Northamptonshire: drainage
From 6 October to 22 December there will be temporary traffic lights or lane closures on the A5 Kilsby Roundabout south to Ashby St Ledger from 8am to 4pm.
A5 Long Buckby, Northamptonshire: temporary lights
From 17 November to 31 January 2015, temporary traffic lights will be in place on a 700 metre section of the southbound carriageway for construction work taking place alongside the A5. They will be in operation from 9am to 5pm.
A14 junction 7-9 Kettering Bypass, Northamptonshire: Widening
A contra-flow system is now in place and fully operational 24 hours a day. The contra-flow system includes temporary steel barriers to protect motorists and the workforce, and reductions in lane widths. Due to safety and recovery restrictions, drivers of HGV vehicles travelling both eastbound and westbound are advised to use Lane 1 only. A free vehicle recovery service is also in place and drivers are advised to remain in their vehicle until assistance arrives. A 24-hour 40mph speed limit is being enforced by average speed cameras. The new Lane 1 on the eastbound carriageway is now in use however, please note that the 40mph speed limit will remain in place until the end of the scheme to protect road users and road workers as they complete remaining work on the westbound carriageway. Please see below for upcoming closures:
- Friday 14 November to Saturday 15 November 2014, 8pm – 8am - Total closure of eastbound carriageway between Junctions 7-9
- Friday 14 November to Saturday 15 November 2014, 8pm – 8am - Lane 2 closure between Junctions 9-7 on the westbound carriageway
- Saturday 15 November to Sunday 16 November 2014, 8pm – 9am - Total closure of eastbound carriageway between Junctions 7-9
- Saturday 15 November to Sunday 16 November 2014, 8pm – 9am - Lane 2 closure between Junctions 9-7 on the westbound carriageway
- Sunday 16 November to Monday 17 November, 8pm – 6am - Total closure of eastbound carriageway between Junctions 7-9
- Sunday 16 November to Monday 17 November, 8pm – 6am - Lane 2 closure between Junctions 9-7 on the westbound carriageway
- Thursday 20 November to Friday 21 November, 2014 8pm – 6am - Closure of the eastbound Junction 9 entry slip road.
A14 J10-9, Northamptonshire: surveys
From 18 November there will be two nights of overnight lane closures on the westbound carriageway from 8pm to 6am.
A14 J3-2, Northamptonshire: surveys
From 20 November there will be four nights of overnight lane closures on the westbound carriageway between 8pm and 6am
A38 Mickleover to Toyota, Derby: Resurfacing
From 16 to October to 18 November the southbound carriageway will be closed overnight, from 8pm to 6am. Laybys will be closed 24/7. Diversions will be signed.
A38 Markeaton to Coxbench, Derby: surveys
From 10 to 22 November there will be lane closures on both carriageways from 8pm to 6am.
A43 Padbury Roundabout to Ardley Roundabout, Oxfordshire: Improvement scheme
From 27 October to 20 February 2015 there will be various overnight lane and carriageway closures in place on both carriageways from 8pm to 6am.
A43 Tove Roundabout, Northamptonshire: Improvement scheme
From 15 September to 31 January 2015 there will be various overnight lane or carriageway closures on both carriageways. There will also be 24/7 narrow lanes and a 50mph speed limit.
A45 Wilby Way to Skew Bridge, Northamptonshire: carriageway repairs
The northbound carriageway and entry slip roads will be closed from 8pm on 18 November to 6am the following morning.
A46 Sixhills, Leicestershire: resurfacing
From 17 November to 2 December the southbound carriageway and entry slip road will be closed overnight from 8pm to 6am. Laybys will be closed 24/7 from 2pm on the 17th.Traffic will be diverted via the A606 and A607.
A52 Bardills Island to Bramcote, Nottinghamshire: white lining
From 17 to 20 November the eastbound carriageway will be closed overnight from 8pm to 6am .
A453 widening from M1 junction 24 to A52: Major improvement work
Major improvement works will continue to summer 2015. The 40 mph speed limits between the M1 junction 24 and Mill Hill Roundabout, and 30 mph between Mill Hill Roundabout and Silverdale Junction, are enforced by speed cameras. A 30mph speed limit has been established through Parkway Junction since Monday 11th August.The A453 diversion onto westbound slip roads at West Leake Junction remains in place. Traffic between Parkway and West Leake Junction was switched to the new westbound carriageway on 21st August 2014. Traffic was switched to the new westbound carriageway between 200m east of M1 Junction 24 and the canal bridge on Friday 12th September.
Traffic remains two-way on the single carriageway. The contractor will continue to work a 6 ½ day week, finishing at 1pm on Sunday. Unless otherwise stated, lane or carriageway closures below will take place during the following times:
- A453 Rural Section: 8.00pm-5.30am (Saturday), 8.30pm-5.30am (Monday- Thursday) and 9.00pm-5.30am (Friday)
- A53 Urban Section: 8pm-5.30am (Monday and Tuesday), 9pm-5.30am (Friday)
- M1 Junction 24: 8pm-5.30am (Saturday to Thursday), 9.15pm-5.30am (Friday).
Advance closure notices: Although we always give the travelling public advance notice of road closures, work schedules are weather dependant and can be subject to change. Please check the most up-to-date bulletin for the most accurate information
- Crusader Roundabout will be closed overnight on Wednesday 26 November for final surfacing works.
- A453 between Mill Hill and Crusader Roundabout will be closed overnight on Wednesday 3 December.
This week on the A453:-
In the urban section at night-
- Full road closure between Mill Hill Roundabout and Crusader Roundabout on Thursday 20 November and Friday 21sNovember.
- Three way traffic lights will be in operation at Crusader Roundabout on Thursday 20 November and Friday 21 November.
In the rural section at night –
- 2 way traffic lights will be in place at Thrumpton Bridge on Saturday 15 November.
- Link Road from Parkway South Roundabout to A453 (on Kegworth Road) will be closed each night from Monday 17 November to Friday 21 November.
- 3 way traffic lights will be in place at Parkway Junction from Monday 17 November to Friday 21 November. (At 8.00pm-6.00am on Monday-Thursday and 9.00pm-6.00am on Friday).
- Lane 1 closure between M1 Junction 24 and 200m east of Junction on Wednesday 19 November and Thursday 20 November.
M1 junction 24/A50 Approach Economy Scheme
Work to improve the capacity and traffic flows at M1 Junction 24 has now commenced. There will be a series of closures on the approach routes to M1 junction 24 until early in 2015. Weekly updates will be given as work progresses. Diversion routes will be signed including directions for non* Motorway traffic.
Customers travelling to and from East Midlands Airport should allow extra time for their journeys during this work, particularly if they have a flight to catch. For real time traffic information visit www.highways.gov.uk/traffic.
Advance Notice – Junction 24/A50
The A50 westbound carriageway will be closed overnight, Monday to Friday, from Monday 27 October until the end of the year. The diversion route for traffic traveling from the south and east to the A50 westbound, will be via M1 Junction 25 and Junction 24A.
During the weekend of 5 to 8 December, starting at 8pm on Friday 5 to 5:30am on Monday 8 December, the A50 westbound will be closed between Junction 24 and Junction 24A. In addition, there will be lane restrictions at and around M1 Junction 24. At least two lanes will be available on each carriageway (except A50 westbound) during the day. Further details will be available in the next bulletin.
Carriageway and lane closures at M1 junction 24 will be 8pm to 5.30am Saturday to Thursday and 9:15pm to 5:30am on Friday unless otherwise stated.
This week at Junction 24 at night:-
- M1 Northbound exit slip road additional lane closed on Saturday 15 November and Sunday 16 November.
- M1 Northbound exit slip road fully closed from Monday 17 November to Friday 21 November.
- M1 Southbound exit slip road additional lane closed from Monday 17 November to Friday 21 November.
- M1 Junction 24 roundabout inner ring closed from Saturday 15 November to Friday 21 November.
- A453 Northbound additional lane closed from Saturday 15 November to Friday 21 November.
- A50 Eastbound lane 1 closed between M1 Junction 24 and Junction 24A on Saturday 15 November and Sunday 16 November.
- A50 Eastbound lane 2 closed from Monday 17 November to Friday 21 November.
- A50 Westbound lane 1 closed between M1 Junction 24 and Junction 24A on Saturday 15 November and Sunday 16 November.
- A50 Westbound will be closed between M1 Junction 24 and Junction 24A from Monday 17 November to Friday 21 November.
Published: 18 November 2014
From: Highways Agency