Planned road works in the North West– summary for Monday 31 October to Sunday 6 November 2016
Summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week
M53 between junctions 4 and 5 (bridge joints)
Work began in September for approximately 4 months to renew road markings and bridge joints. This will be carried out in a number of phases between 8pm and 5am (7am during weekends) Monday to Saturday with lane closures. Some overnight closures will also be required with signed diversions.
M53 between junctions 4 and 5 (resurfacing)
Work began on Saturday 8 October to resurface both carriageways in a 5 week project. It involves daytime lane closures and overnight full carriageway closures. Total closures of the northbound carriageway between junction 5 and junction 4 will be taking place between 9pm and 5am - or 7am on Saturday and Sunday mornings - on Friday night and Saturday night (4 and 5 November) and again on the nights of Friday and Saturday 11 and 12 November.
M56 Weaver Viaduct repairs and resurfacing
Work started in August on a £1.5 million project to repair and resurface Weaver Viaduct which helps carry the M56 between junction 12 and junction 14. The work involves overnight lane and hard shoulder closure. Work will be completed by the beginning of November.
M6 junctions 16 to 19: Cheshire smart motorway
Work is underway for the smart motorway upgrade – typically with 1 or 2 lanes closed overnight between junctions in both directions and/or mobile lane closures along short sections of carriageway.
M6 junction 22 bridge maintenance
Essential bridge maintenance started earlier this month to replace 40 corroded bearings on the M6 junction 22 bridges. The work, between junction 21a and junction 23, is likely to last for 6 months. It will be carried out in a number of phases, largely during daytime hours, Monday to Friday, between 7.30am and 5pm, with some work taking place outside these times. Average speed cameras and a 50mph speed limit are in place through the road works.
M6 junction 34 Lancaster
Lancashire County Council’s new link road between junction 34 of the M6 and Heysham will open on Monday (31 October) but finishing work will require lane and hard shoulder closures along the M6 through junction 34 to continue for the time being. More information is available here: http://heyshamlink.lancashire.gov.uk
M6 resurfacing junctions 36 to 39
Several resurfacing schemes are taking place along different sections of the M6 between Kirkby Lonsdale and Shap throughout October, generally requiring a lane closure during the day and 2 lanes to be closed overnight with a 50mph speed limit in place past road works. A week of overnight – 8pm to 6am - closures of the northbound entry slip road started on Wednesday (26 October) with the final closure on Tuesday night (1 November).
M60 junction 8 Sale to junction 20 Rochdale
A major scheme is taking place to cut congestion and improve journey times on parts of the M60 and the M62 in Greater Manchester. The scheme involves overnight slip road and carriageway closures with a 50mph limit in place for the safety of workers and drivers. A significant programme of temporary night closures has been programmed to fit gantries with wiring and signs. The project is due to be completed in autumn 2017.
M602 Clarendon Bridge
Work to refurbish this footbridge over the M602 near Eccles started in August and is expected to take around 12 weeks. The footbridge will be closed – with a signed pedestrian diversion place – throughout the project. There will also be occasional overnight – 9pm to 5am – M602 carriageway closures with signed, short diversions in place.
A556 Knutsford to Bowdon
A £192 million project is being delivered to build a new dual carriageway linking the M56 to the M6 in Cheshire. From Monday 10 October a new phase of work started at the southern, Knutsford, end of the project around the roundabout at junction 19 of the M6. The existing or forthcoming closures include:
- Total, 9pm to 5am, overnight closures of the roundabout at junction 19 of the M6 nightly (excluding Saturday and Sunday nights) for a further 2 weeks – drivers on the northbound M6 will be able to leave at junction 19 but only to access the southbound A556 (for Northwich).
- Total, 9pm to 5am, nightly overnight closures (both carriageways, excluding Saturday and Sunday nights) of the A556 between Mere crossroads and the M6 until Friday (4 November)
- For a further 2 weeks, until Friday 11 November (excluding Saturdays and Sundays), nightly, 9pm to 5am, closures of the M56 Junction 7 eastbound access slip road
- The exit slip road from the eastbound M56 at junction 7 remains closed for work to provide new link roads and a new roundabout at Bowdon
- Closure of Chapel Lane for bridge alignment works into January for bridge and road alignment work A56 Rising Bridge roundabout Work is going on to improve safety and reduce delays at Rising Bridge Roundabout near Haslingden:
- Rising Bridge Roundabout – work to improve the footway between the roundabout and the A680 Blackburn Road (to the north and south) is now nearing completion. Also, the works required to the traffic signals are complete and we expect these to be operational by the end of November. The surfacing of the roundabout has yet to be carried out and we propose to undertake these works during early December - the exact dates will be confirmed nearer the time. To facilitate and carry out these works safely, a closure of the roundabout will be required. Advance signage will be installed on site at least one week before the closure is required.
- Lighting - The lighting column installation work is almost complete. There are approximately 8 temporary columns currently in place which need to be reinstated with permanent lighting columns. Precise dates to reinstate the permanent columns have yet to be confirmed, but are expected to be mid-November and will be carried out under lane closures.
- Embankment - Works to the embankment have started, with the construction of a drainage system and installation of pumps now complete. The next step is to start constructing the embankment which will support the new lane on the southbound approach to the Rising Bridge roundabout. To facilitate this work, the left lane on the on approach to the roundabout will remain in place. All works will be carried out during daytime hours i.e. 7:30am to 5.30pm. However, online works will be between 9:30am and 3.30pm only.
A590 Booths to Greenodd
Carriageway repairs will require a full closure of the carriageway in both directions between Booths and Greenodd roundabouts between 8pm on Sunday (30 October) and 5am on Monday (31 October). Traffic using the eastbound carriageway will be diverted to take the first exit at the A590/A595 roundabout and travel north on the A595 until they reach the junction with the A5092. They will continue on the A5902 until they reach the end of the diversion at Greenodd roundabout. Traffic travelling along the westbound carriageway will be directed to exit the A590 at Greenodd roundabout and continue on this route until they reach the A592 junction where they will turn right. Traffic shall continue on the A592 in a southerly direction until they reach the junction with the A590 where the diversion will end.
Drainage repairs between Dalton and Queen Street will continue until Saturday 26 November with 8pm to 6am and 9.30am to 3.30pm working. Narrow lanes or temporary traffic lights will be used.
A590 Gilpin Bridge to Foulshaw
A round-the-clock lane 1 closure and traffic signals will be in place between Monday (31 October) and Friday 4 November for scrub clearance works.
A66 Bassenthwaite Lake
Works to raise sections of the carriageway and improve flood resilience started in September. A first phase near Dubwath junction started on 19 September and involves 24hr traffic lights - reduced to daytime signals where safety allows. This changed to include nightly overnight carriageway closures for 6 weeks from last Monday (24 October). A contraflow arrangement is also now in place near Smithy Cottage.
Some 3 ½ miles of the route are being resurfaced between the A627(M) at Holden Fold and Moston Lane East, south of junction 21, M60. All work will be carried out in sections under night closures, between the hours of 8pm and 5am (Monday to Friday nights) with some weekend working between 8pm and 7am (Saturday and Sunday nights). From 7 November until Christmas, works will take place Monday to Wednesday as per normal and during the times stated above. However, on Thursday and Fridays, works will still be taking place but at a later time (from midnight) to accommodate Christmas shoppers. Signed diversions will be in place. The project is likely to be completed by the end of January.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.