Media wanting information about Highways England’s routine maintenance projects should, in the first instance, check our website www.highways.gov.uk/roads
The following summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week is correct as of 10 April 2015 but could be subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.
All our improvement work is carried out with the aim of causing as little disruption as possible.
M1 junction 19 at Catthorpe, Leicestershire: Major improvement works
Between now and autumn 2016 there will be various hard shoulder, lane or carriageway closures while the new junction is built.
- On Tuesday 14 April the M1 northbound and southbound will be closed at M1 junction 19 from 9pm to 6am Wednesday morning;
- On Thursday 16 April there will be a closure of the M1 north to M6 link road from 9pm to 6am Friday morning;
- On Saturday 18 of April the M1 northbound and southbound will be closed at M1 junction 19 from 8pm to 8am Sunday morning.
M1 junction 15 to 19, Northamptonshire: Central reserve work
Until summer 2015, there will be various restrictions in place to allow for the construction of a reinforced concrete barrier in the central reserve. These include speed restrictions, narrow lanes and hard shoulder running.
- From Saturday 18 to Sunday 19 April junction 16 southbound entry slip road will be closed between 9pm and 6am;
- From Saturday 18 to Sunday 19 April junction 15a southbound exit slip road will be closed between 9pm and 6am.
M1 junction 23 to 22, Leicestershire: Carriageway repairs
On 15 April from 8pm to 16 April 5am there will be a southbound carriageway closure.
M1 Junction 23a to Jct 24a, Leicestershire: Survey works
From 26 January to 30 April there will be lane closures and exit slip road closures north and southbound from 10pm to 6am.
M1 junction 28 to 31 and 32 to 35a, Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/Yorkshire: Smart Motorway
Until winter 2016 there will be various restrictions in place on the M1 between junctions 28 and 35a to allow for the construction of the Smart Motorway. These include lane closures, speed restrictions, hard shoulder running and overnight slip road or carriageway closures. This week the following full closures will be in place:
- On 9 April, the M1 northbound exit at junction 35a, and the southbound entry at junction 35a, will be closed between 8pm and 6am.
- The southbound entry at junction 35a of the M1 will be closed between 8pm on 10 April and 6am on 11 April. The M1 southbound up and over at junction 31 will also be closed at this time.
- On 11 April, the M1 southbound up and over at junction 31 will be closed between 8pm and 6am on 12 April.
- On 12 April, the M1 northbound entry slip road at junction 29a will be closed from 8pm, until 6am on 13 April.
- On 13 April, the M1 southbound exit at junction 34 will be closed, along with the northbound entry at junction 34, between 8pm and 6am. The M1 southbound up and over at junction 31 will also be closed during this time.
- On 14 April, the M1 southbound up and over will be closed at junction 31 between 8pm and 6am. The M1 southbound entry road at junction 30 will also be closed.
- On 15 April, the M1 southbound up and over at junction 31 will be closed between 8pm and 6am, and the northbound entry road at junction 29a of the M1 will also be closed.
- On 16 April, the M1 northbound up and over at junction 31 will be closed between 8pm and 6am, as will the northbound entry road at junction 29a.
- On 17 April, the M1 southbound entry at junction 35a will be closed between 8pm and 6am, as will the northbound up and over at junction 31.
- On 18 April, the M1 southbound entry at junction 31 will be closed between 8pm and 6am.
M45 Dunchurch to M1 J17, Northamptonshire: Carriageway repairs
From 9 February to 20 May there will be a number of restrictions on the eastbound carriageway including overnight carriageway closures from 8pm to 6am, or 24/7 closures of the hard shoulder and lane one with a 50mph speed limit. During full closures traffic will be diverted via the A45 to Daventry and Weedon to join the M1 at J16.
A1 Elkesley, Nottinghamshire: Junction improvement
There will be a full weekend closure starting Friday 17 April on the southbound carriageway from the off-slip road at Apleyhead to the northbound slip road at Twyford Bridge. It will be from 8pm Friday evening and reopen by 6am on Monday 20 April.
A1 Beacon Hill road, Coddington, Nottinghamshire: Construction
From 10 March to 11 June there will be a 24/7 exit slip road closure northbound.
A5 Mancetter, Warwickshire: Carriageway resurfacing
From the 10 to 15 April there will be a 24/7 layby and carriageway closure northbound from 8pm to 6am each evening.
A5 Crick to Magna Park, Leicestershire/Northamptonshire/Warwickshire: Diversion route
From the 11 to 25 April there will be a diversion route northbound and southbound between 9pm to 6am due to works being undertaken at junction 19 (M1).
A38 Alfreton to M1 junction 28, Derbyshire: Electrical works
From the 17 to 18 April the northbound carriageway will be closed from 8pm to 5am.
A14 junction 7 to 9, Northamptonshire: Widening
From Sunday 12 April to Monday 20 April there will be an eastbound carriageway closure from 8pm to 6am;
From Friday 17 April to Monday 20 April there will be a closure of junction 8 entry slip road between 8pm and 6am each night over the weekend.
A42, J13 - Jct 23a M1, Leicestershire: Litter clearance
Until 19 April, there will be lane closures north and southbound from 6am to 12pm.
A42 Finger Farm to junction 13, Leicestershire: Carriageway repairs
From the 13 to 14 April there will be a southbound carriageway closure on the M1 link road with lane closure on the roundabout from 8pm to 6am, and a lay by closure from 2pm to 6am.
A42 junction 12 to 11, Leicestershire: Communication work
From 15 to the 16 April there will be a southbound carriageway closure between 8pm to 5am.
A42 junction 11 to 12, Leicestershire: Communication work
From 16 to the 17 April there will be a northbound carriageway closure between 8pm to 5am.
A43 Padbury Roundabout to Barley Mow roundabout, Oxfordshire: Resurfacing
Until May 9 2015, there will be northbound carriageway closures and roundabout lane closures from 7.30pm to 6am. Main diversion is via M40 to Junction 11 and A422, to rejoin A43 at Oxford Road Roundabout just south of Brackley. A non-motorway route, via B430/A34/A41/A4421/A421, is also provided.
A45 Wootton to Weston Favell, Northamptonshire: Carriageway repairs
Up until 18 April, there will be overnight carriageway closures on either the north or southbound between 8pm and 6am, with a temporary 50mph speed restriction.
A45 Wilby to Skew Bridge, Northamptonshire: Carriageway repairs
From 14 to 15 April there will be a northbound carriageway closure between 8pm to 5am. Diversion A45 east is North on the A509. Then east onto the A509 into Finedon Road Industrial estate and out onto Wellingborough road heading North to Finedon. Then south on the A6 to rejoin A45 at Chownmill RBT. All Traffic requiring going east from Wellingborough RBT will be diverted to Wilbyway to join main division.
A52 Spondon, Derby City: Electrical work
From 16 to 18 April the entry slip road eastbound will be closed, and the exit slip road westbound will be closed from 9pm to 6am each night.
A52 Barrowby to Saxondale, Leicestershire/ Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire: Carriageway repairs
From 9 March to 18 April there will be carriageway closures eastbound and westbound and 24/7 layby closures from 8pm to 6am each night.
A453 widening from M1 junction 24 to A52: Major improvement work
- On Mon 13 April and Tuesday 14 April the A453 westbound from Silverdale roundabout to Farnborough Road junction will be closed overnight from 8pm to 5.30am’
- From Mon 13 April through to Friday 17 April there will be a closure of underpass at West Leake junction between north and south roundabouts from 8pm to 5am.
M1 Junction 24
The diversion route for the A50 Westbound closures will be via M1 Northbound, Junction 25 and M1 Southbound, joining the A50 Westbound at Junction 24A.
The diversion route for the A50 Eastbound closure will be via M1 Northbound from Junction 24A, Junction 25 and M1 Southbound to Junction 24.
- On Monday 13 April to Wednesday 15 April A50 Westbound will be closed from M1 junction 24 to junction 24A from 8pm to 5.30am each night;
- On Thursday 16 April the A50 eastbound will be closed from M1 junction 24A to junction 24 from 8pm to 5.30am;
- On Thursday 16 April the M1 northbound exit slip road will be closed from 8pm to 5.30am.
M1 junction 24/A50 Approach Economy Scheme
Work to improve the capacity and traffic flows at M1 Junction 24 is nearing completion.
Customers travelling to and from East Midlands Airport should allow extra time for their journeys during this work, particularly if they have a flight to catch.
For real time traffic information visit www.highways.gov.uk/traffic
Members of the public should contact the Highways England Information Line on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer