A series of overnight closures are planned on the A14 as part of the ongoing scheme to add an extra lane between junction 7 and 10 at Kettering, Northamptonshire, from Monday 26 January.
The closures, which take place on a number of nights between now and April, will enable contractors to change the current road layout so they can start lighting and drainage works in the central reservation.
A 24-hour 40mph speed limit will remain in place which will be enforced by average speed cameras. This will remain throughout the works until completion of the scheme, which is expected to be in Spring 2015.
Highways Agency Project Manager Mary Chatfield said:
We’ve planned the work very carefully to create as little disruption as possible. I urge all road users to adhere to the speed limits and the traffic management which we have put in place both for their own safety and the safety of our road workers.
Drivers should plan their journeys, allowing extra time if necessary, and be aware that the road layout is changing.
The following closures will be in place between junctions 7 and 10, weather permitting:
- Friday 13 February for three days full closure of the westbound J8 entry slip for top soiling on the embankment
- Saturday 21 February for one night of the westbound carriageway and is required to switch traffic over to use lanes one and two just before junction 8
- Sunday 22 February for one night of the eastbound carriageway and is required to switch traffic over to use lanes one and two
- Saturday 28 February for one night of the westbound carriageway and is required to switch traffic over to use lanes one and two
- Sunday 1 March for one night of the eastbound carriageway and is required to switch traffic over to use lanes one and two
- Monday 2 March for one night of the westbound carriageway between junctions 7 and 10
- Tuesday 3 March for four nights of the westbound carriageway
Closures take place between the following times:
- Monday to Friday – 8pm to 6am;
- Friday to Saturday –8pm to 8am;
- Saturday to Sunday –8pm to 9am and
- Sunday to Monday - 8pm to 6am
During the closures through traffic will be diverted off the A14 at junction 7 and along the A43 and A6116 to re-join the A14 at junction 12, or vice versa.
The A14 is an important road that connects the M1 and M6 motorways in the Midlands with the A1, the M11 and the east coast ports near Felixstowe. Because of its links with the port, it is part of the Trans-European Network. The section around Kettering suffers from congestion and poor journey times daily. By improving this section the Highways Agency aims to create smoother and more reliable journeys, contribute to the region’s economy and to allow for the increased demand in the area that will occur as a result of the Government’s Growth Agenda to develop 40,500 homes in the area.
Further information about the project is available on the scheme’s website
Members of the public should contact the Highways Agency Information Line on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways Agency press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.