The Lord Chancellor has announced four new members and one re-appointment to the Sentencing Council for England and Wales.
The new members are:
- Javed Khan, Chief Executive of Victim Support;
- Michael Caplan, QC;
- Lynne Owens, Chief Constable of Surrey Police; and
- Julian Roberts, Professor of Criminology.
- John Crawforth OBE has been reappointed to his existing role.
The appointments, which come as a number of existing members reach the end of their three year tenure, followed an open competition based on the core principles in the Code of Practice for Ministerial appointments to public bodies.
The Sentencing Council was established in April 2010 with the aim of bringing greater transparency and public understanding to the sentencing processes. Working as an independent body, the Council has responsibility for developing new guidelines, monitoring implementation and considering the impact of sentencing on victims.
Lord Chancellor and Justice Secretary Chris Grayling said:
“I welcome the wide-ranging expertise of the new members of the Council, who bring with them a wealth of experience ranging from law enforcement and victims services to academia.
”The Sentencing Council has helped ensure greater consistency in the way in which courts pass sentence and helps improve the public’s understanding of the sentencing process.”
Notes to editors
- The Sentencing Council is an independent, non-departmental body of the Ministry of Justice, established under ss118-136 of the Coroners and Justice Act 2009. More information on the Sentencing Council.
Sentencing Council non-judicial members:
- John Crawforth OBE, former Chief Executive of Greater Manchester Probation Trust
- Lynne Owens, Chief Constable of Surrey Police
- Julian Roberts, Professor of Criminology at the University of Oxford
- Javed Kahn, Chief Executive of Victim Support
- Michael Caplan QC, Partner at Kingsley Napley
- Keir Starmer, Director of Public Prosecutions
Sentencing Council judicial members:
*Lord Justice Leveson (Chair)
* HH Judge Sarah Munro QC
* District Judge Anne Arnold
* Katharine Rainsford JP
* Mr Justice Henry Globe
* HH Judge William Davis QC
For further details contact Ministry of Justice press office on 020 3334 3536 or Sentencing Council press office, on 0207 071 5792 or out of hours on 07971 710158.