World news story
Morocco: Magna Carta Fund for Human Rights and Democracy 2016–17
The British Embassy Morocco is now accepting bids for the Magna Carta Fund for Human Rights and Democracy.
The Magna Carta Fund for Human Rights and Democracy (MCFHRD) is the FCO’s dedicated strategic programme fund supporting UK global human rights and democracy work.
Through targeted projects, MCFHRD aims to further British interests overseas by tackling the root causes of human rights violations, strengthening institutions and governance, supporting the promotion and protection of human rights, democracy and the rule of law. For 2016, Ministers have agreed a new approach to the FCO’s human rights and democracy work. The FCO has therefore reconfigured its human rights work around three interconnected themes that provide the basis of our funding strategy:
- Democratic values and the rule of law - uphold universal rights, democracy and the rule of law as key building blocks for more secure and prosperous societies;
- The rules-based international order - support an effective rules-based international order that stands up for universal rights;
- Human rights for a stable world - promote a more stable world by upholding universal rights in tackling conflict and extremism.
For more detail, please see the 2016-17 MCFHRD Strategy .
Within these themes the British Embassy in Rabat has focussed on the following priorities:
- Freedom of expression;
- Protection and promotion of women rights;
- Supporting measures to enable Morocco to meet its OPCAT commitments, including through police reforms.
If you are interested in bidding for funds, please read carefully the guidance contained in the key documents below, ensure that your project has a clear link to one of these priority areas, and submit a concept note to Hamida Bouazza at Hamida.Bouazza@fco.gov.uk before 12:00 on 5 February 2016.