More than 3,000 delegates gather for Innovate event in London
More than 3,000 delegates from high-growth innovative businesses, the investment community, academia and government are gathering in London today and tomorrow for Innovate 2015 – a global showcase for the best in UK innovation.
Today’s speakers include Facebook vice-president for Europe, Middle East and Africa Nicola Mendelsohn, the Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills Sajid Javid MP, global innovation leader Dr Dave Richards, Cobra Beer founder Lord Bilimoria, and bio-bean founder Arthur Kay.
Many small and medium-sized British companies at the cutting edge of innovation are exhibiting alongside universities; funding and support bodies such as Innovate UK, the Catapults, and the Business Growth Service; and private investors.
Many smaller themed meetings and events are taking place away from the main stage and there are formal and informal networking opportunities for delegates, including the opportunity for one-to-one meetings with investors.
Today’s events on the main stage
- 9.05am keynote ministerial speech by Sajid Javed
- 9.25am chief executive of Innovate UK Dr Ruth McKernan on a 5-point plan to accelerate innovation
- 10.10 Dr Dave Richards, co-founder of MIT Innovation Lab, on the seven sins of innovation
- 11.15 Nicola Mendelsohn on the relationship between innovation and creativity
- 1pm angel investor Sherry Coutu on UK progress on the recommendations of The Scale-Up Report on UK Economic Growth
- 1.50pm Lord Bilimoria on his top 5 tips for business expansion
- 2.45pm Arthur Kay, the Guardian’s Sustainable Business Leader of the Year 2015, on how his idea for bio-bean has changed his life
- 3.25pm panel discussion about how Catapult innovation centres are driving investment
- 4.25pm Chris Aylett, chief executive of the Motorsport Industry Association, on how the UK’s Motorsport valley cluster is leading the world
Tomorrow at Innovate 2015
Innovate 2015 is hosted by Innovate UK and UK Trade & Investment at Old Billingsgate, central London. Businesses attending can find out about the wide range of research expertise and government support available to help them to deliver new products and services and to expand both at home and abroad.
Tomorrow’s schedule focuses on the innovation capabilities of the UK and the regional funding and support opportunities available to help businesses succeed and grow.
Speakers include Jo Johnson MP, Minister of State for Universities and Science, Professor Sir Nigel Shadbolt, chairman of the Open Data Institute, and a range of participants in the pioneering Evoque_E collaboration to develop hybrid and electric vehicles based on Range Rover models.