The Magna Carta Fund for Human Rights and Democracy (MCFHRD) is the FCO’s dedicated strategic programme fund supporting our global human rights and democracy work. Through targeted projects, it aims to further British interests overseas by tackling the root causes of human rights violations, strengthening institutions and governance, supporting the promotion and protection of human rights, democracy and the rule of law.
Launch of the 2016-17 Bidding Round
We are pleased to announce the call for bids for projects for financial year 2016-17. The following information provides an overview for prospective implementers. Key documents which we reference below can be found at the end of this page.
Before bidding you should also familiarize yourself with:
- the 2016-17 MCFHRD strategy;
- guidance for implementers;
- the project concept note form; and
- the standard grant contract.
Human Rights Themes
For 2016, Ministers have agreed a new approach to the FCO’s human rights and democracy work. The FCO has therefore reconfigured its human rights work around three interconnected themes that provide the basis of our funding strategy:
- Democratic values and the rule of law - uphold universal rights, democracy and the rule of law as key building blocks for more secure and prosperous societies.
- The rules-based international order - support an effective rules-based international order that stands up for universal rights.
- Human rights for a stable world - promote a more stable world by upholding universal rights in tackling conflict and extremism.
In Brazil, we particularly encourage proposals in points 1 and 2. For more detail, see the 2016-17 MCFHRD Strategy.
How to apply
- Read the strategy carefully and ensure that any proposals you are considering are a good fit.
- Use the template provided below to submit a Project Concept Note by 16 February, of no more than three pages in length.
- For single-country proposals, send to Brazil.HumanRightsBidRound@fco.gov.uk.
- For multi-country proposals, send to HRD.Programme@fco.gov.uk
- It is also a good idea to discuss your project proposal in advance with the relevant project officer at the Embassy, Ms. Beatriz Sannuti
- Successful implementers will be invited to submit a full proposal by 04 March. The Embassy will advise you on which proposal form to complete depending on the value of the project. The deadline for submission of the full project proposals is 04 March;
- It is our aim to inform all applicants of the final outcome of their bid by May.
Bids will be assessed against the following criteria:
- value for money
- alignment with MCFHRD Strategy and FCO’s Foreign Policy Priorities
- evidence of local demand or need
- project viability, including capacity of implementing organisation(s)
- project design, including clear, achievable impact
- risk and stakeholder management
Full proposal documents
See the guidance documents above for more information on the bidding process.
You can see the full proposal forms and activity based budget template below:
||Concept note deadline for implementers
||Full Proposal deadline for implementers
||HRDP Programme Boards complete review of bids
||Posts informed of outcome
Please contact Brazil.HumanRightsBidRound@fco.gov.uk with any questions or queries.