World news story

London Metropolitan University granted new licence for a probationary period

International students will be permitted to enter the UK to study at London Metropolitan University from today (9 April 2013).

This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government

London Metropolitan University granted new licence for a probationary period

This decision follows the removal of the university’s sponsor licence in August 2012.

A series of inspections carried out by the Home Office in the last 6 months have demonstrated that the university has made the necessary improvements to its systems and administration. The university now meets the requirements needed to sponsor international students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA).

In line with Home Office policy, the university will now be subject to a probationary period in order to build a track record of compliance with the new students they enrol.

During this period there will also be a limit on the number of international students the university can enrol.

Home Office inspection teams looked at areas of concern that led to the revocation of the university’s licence last year, and have worked with university staff to ensure they have appropriate processes for recruiting and monitoring their international students.

Following revocation the Home Office was in contact with affected students directly, and provided regular news and guidance on its homepage. Advice and guidance on applying for a student visa can be found on our London Metropolitan University guidance page.

Update for students

Following today’s announcement to allow London Metropolitan University to again sponsor international students please see below guidance for non-EEA students.

Following revocation of London Metropolitan University’s licence I chose to stay at the university to continue my studies, what should I do now?

You can continue your studies. We wrote to you in January to confirm that you can complete your studies there as a legitimate student. This remains the case now that the university can again sponsor non-EEA students.

If your visa has run out and you need to extend your leave to remain in the UK, you can now do so by obtaining a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from London Metropolitan University and making a Tier 4 (student) application.

I moved to another education provider, what should I do now?

If you moved to another institution following revocation, you would have received a letter from us confirming that you can continue your studies with that education provider. This remains the case.

Is it safe for me to apply to London Metropolitan University or will the Home Office revoke its licence again?

The university now has appropriate checks and processes in place to monitor its international (non-EEA) students, which is why we have allowed the university to again sponsor students under the Tier 4 route. Over the next 12 months the university will have the opportunity to demonstrate that it can maintain these standards and work towards becoming a full Highly Trusted Sponsor. Over the past year our aim has been to support legitimate students choosing to study in the UK.

Haven’t legitimate students had their leave curtailed as a result of revocation?

No, all genuine students have been able to stay and study in the UK, with action only being taken against those with no right to be in the UK.

Why did you revoke London Metropolitan University’s licence only to allow them to sponsor new students now?

Following the revocation of London Metropolitan University’s licence, we undertook a series of detailed checks on their systems and processes for monitoring non-EEA students. As a result the university has made significant improvements, which is why we are now allowing the university to again sponsor students.

It is in the interest of international students that all institutions take their immigration responsibilities seriously and demonstrate that they comply with the rules.

I’m thinking of studying at London Metropolitan University and am currently based outside the UK

You should apply as normal, using the Tier 4 (student) guidance on our website.

Published 9 April 2013