This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
A full-time position as a Media and Communications Officer in the UK Joint Delegation to NATO in Brussels has become available.
We are looking for a motivated communications, public affairs or media professional to communicate the UK’s commitment to and priorities for NATO. This is an exciting and challenging opportunity to play a central role in communications activities that help deliver UK policy objectives. You will work in the Politics & Communications Team, coordinating closely with colleagues on a busy and fast-paced communications portfolio which includes: ministerial press conferences; briefing senior staff; liaising closely with NATO press office; and working with contacts across Whitehall and overseas posts to develop and shape communications strategies on the UK’s role in NATO, and NATO’s role in the world.
• Drive and develop communications policy for the UK in NATO, representing the UK on NATO’s Committee for Public Diplomacy, and shaping communications strategies in support of NATO business (operations, partnership cooperation, capabilities). Work to secure an improved understanding of the Alliance among key audiences.
• Support the work of the UK Delegation by developing and delivering its public diplomacy and strategic communications strategy, using a full range of communication tools including digital media to deliver UK NATO policy objectives. Generate political analysis of current media trends as part of the output of the Politics & Communications Team.
• Establish and develop contacts across NATO and in UK Government departments, particularly the Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Ministry of Defence and Cabinet Office. Work closely with these contacts to coordinate and influence UK and NATO communication activities and messages.
• Act as the UK Delegation spokesperson, building relations with and confidently delivering key messages to the media and influential visitor groups, both verbally and in writing.
• Lead in coordinating and implementing media strategies for top-level NATO events, particularly ministerial meetings and summits.
• Manage the Deputy Communications & Digital Media Officer, and oversee one other staff member’s digital media work.
• Communications, public affairs or media experience.
• Experience of working with a wide network of contacts, and ability to demonstrate lobbying and influencing skills.
• Strong interpersonal, teamworking and customer focus skills.
• Ability to grasp complex issues quickly and communicate them simply and effectively.
• Good organisational and managerial skills, including self-management of workload and work/life balance.
• Experience of working with social media.
• Adaptability and resilience under pressure.
• Fluent written and spoken English. French would be an advantage.
• Good IT skills, including experience of Outlook, Word and PowerPoint.
• Knowledge of NATO and UK Government institutions and procedures.
This position will be subject to satisfactory completion of advanced UK security checks, and will be filled on a fixed term contract basis. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Belgium.
Taxable gross monthly Salary: € 3444.87
Applications with a full CV and cover letter in English should be sent to the Recruitment Officer, Corporate Services Benelux, British Embassy, Avenue d’Auderghem 10 B-1040 Brussels or email@example.com by 3pm on Wednesday 18 September 2013. If applying by email, you should include your full name in the message title and your email and attachments must not exceed 300kB in size. Please also indicate in your application where you saw this advertisement.
We expect to hold interviews in week commencing 23 September 2013, with a view to the successful applicant starting work as soon as possible, subject to vetting, references and administrative processes.
Please note that, due to the large volume of applications that we receive, only those applicants called for interview will be contacted.
The British Missions in Brussels are an equal opportunities employer. Applications are welcome from all suitably qualified applicants regardless of age, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability. We aim to reflect the diversity of society.