This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
We are looking to appoint a new Head of the Ambassador’s Office.
The Head of Ambassador’s Office will support the Ambassador by scheduling meetings, commissioning briefing, managing correspondence and coordinating tasking across Embassy sections. The Head of Office will also oversee management of the Ambassador’s Residence and Embassy events. The start date for the position is June 2013.
Main duties and responsibilities
- manage correspondence including letters, speeches, briefings (including for London) and programmes while liaising with relevant sections.
- manage the Ambassador’s diary and inbox
- arrange meetings and appointments and make travel arrangements
- responsible for coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the Embassy Country Business Plan
- act as Secretary for Embassy Board
- administer travel and Corporate Credit Cards claims for the Ambassador and DHM
- manage the Ambassador’s official entertainment/representational budget and maintain records about its spending
- oversee management of the Ambassador’s Residence by the Residence Housekeeper
- manage and supervise Residence Housekeeper and Events Manager’s work
Skills and requirements for the position
- proven analytical and organisational skills
- an ability to represent the embassy externally
- near native written and spoken English; knowledge of Romanian is a plus
- proven strong people management skills
- proven communication and interpersonal skills
- flexibility and adapting skills
- very good IT skills (including MS Vista, Word, Outlook, Excel, internet).
This is a full-time position (35 hours per week) for an initial period of a year with the possibility of extension. Core working hours are 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Thursday) and 8.30am to 1pm or 11am to 4pm, Friday. The job holder will be expected to work flexible hours as required and is entitled to time-off-in-lieu for agreed extra hours worked.
Please note that the successful candidate will require a high level of security clearance. Applicants must be willing to undergo UK security vetting procedures. All applicants should be aware that a lack of sufficient background information may preclude an applicant from being granted security clearance.
Please be aware that the Embassy will not be able to cover any costs connected with relocation. Non-EU candidates must have pre-existing work authorisation for Romania in order to apply.
The annual leave entitlement is a minimum of 21 days per year pro rata and the Embassy also observes an average of 14 Romanian/UK public holidays per year. The position is graded LE2 and the salary is EURO 1268 gross per month. In addition, staff members are entitled to a 13 month salary pro rata and may receive a performance related bonus at year end. Staff also receive a monthly subscription to a medical center. An individual personal development plan will be agreed with the successful candidate, which may include training outside Romania.
The position is subject to successfully completing of 30 working days probation.
How to apply
Applications should be made in English by Friday 10 May 2013 by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the job application form available on the British Embassy recruitment policy page, completing all sections and using the ‘Supporting Statement’ box to explain clearly the motivation, skills and experience you could bring to this role. Please also attach a copy of your CV. Interviews will take place in the week beginning 20 May 2013.
Please note that, because of the volume of applications we receive, we will only contact candidates that have been short-listed for interview. If you do not hear from us you should assume that your application has not been successful.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation. All applications are treated on merit.