World news story
Internship call at the British Embassy in Bucharest
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The British Embassy in Bucharest is looking to recruit two interns with a focus on Political, Trade and Development and Communication work
The ideal candidates should have good interpersonal and communication skills, enthusiasm and sound judgement. Being an intern at the British Embassy is an exciting opportunity to gain experience and knowledge in an international environment. During the internship each intern will have a designated mentor who will oversee the intern’s activities and provide advice and guidance as appropriate. Together with the intern the mentor will also devise and agree an induction as well as a tailored activity programme.
During the internship the interns will be asked to:
- conduct research (on-line and off line) on topics such as legislative amendments, economic and financial statistics, companies profiles, media etc.
- translate various documents from Romanian to English and vice-versa
- interpret during meetings upon request
- offer administrative support for Embassy events and official visits including updating databases and folders
- attend various Embassy events and meetings
Required skills and qualifications:
- recent University graduates in the following or related fields: Economic, Journalism and Communication, Political Sciences, Law, Public Administration, Foreign Languages
- solid command of Romanian and English, both oral and written
- interest in British and EU culture
- good communication and organisational skills
- the ability to interact with contacts at all levels
- attention to detail
- very good IT knowledge (MS Office, Internet Explorer and Outlook)
This is a full time position of 5 days (35 hours net per week) for a fix time period for a period of 6 months. We offer an employment contract with an annual leave entitlement of 21 days per year pro rata. The Embassy also enjoys an average of 14 Romanian/UK public holidays per year. The salary is RON 800 gross per month.
The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background check and security clearances, and satisfactory completion of a probationary period of 15 working days and is expected to commence employment beginning in November 2013.
Applications should be made in English by Friday 11th October 2013 by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org by answering the British Embassy Internship Essay Questions below and attaching your CV.
Interviews will take place in the week beginning 21 October 2013.
Please note that, because of the volume of applications we receive, we will only contact candidates that have been short-listed for interview. If you do not hear from us you should assume that your application has not been successful.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation. All applications are treated on merit.
British Embassy Internship Essay Questions
Please answer the questions below keeping in mind that the whole essay should not exceed 750 words (maximum 2 pages). Thank you.
What is your motivation to apply for this Internship? (max 100 words)
What are you interested in doing in your professional career? What do you enjoy doing most and what do you like doing less and why? (max 100 words)
What development goals (personally and/or professionally) you are working on currently and why you think you need to develop them? How will being a British Embassy Intern help you achieve these development goals? (max 150 words)
Could you please list what you consider to be major achievements (personal and/or professional) in your life in the past years? Also tell us why you consider them achievements. (max 150 words)
What was the greatest challenge you faced or failure you experienced? How did you overcome that challenge/failure? (max 150 words)
Different people learn differently. Tell us how do you learn best? And tell us about a particular concept or idea you learned this way. (max 100 words)