Businesses can apply for a share of £10 million to improve the efficiency and experience of the end-to-end journey for people and freight.
Innovate UK is to invest in collaborative R&D projects that will improve transport systems. These projects will enable seamless end-to-end journeys for both people and goods.
The concept of end-to-end journeys aims to expand the thinking around mobility as a service. It will do this by developing multi-modal travel options and a single point of access for the customer.
This funding competition focuses on 2 broad themes:
- optimisation and increasing usable capacity
- demand reduction
We expect proposals to provide optimisation strategies that will work within existing transport modes. Proposals should show how they could create a more efficient connected system. They should focus on increasing the availability, capacity and ease of use for customers.
Customers should be able to select a complete journey from one starting point to a final end point. They should have transport options with differing profiles, costs and schedules.
This competition aims to catalyse industry, local authorities and service providers to work together. Proposals should cover one or more of the following themes:
- network and data connectivity within modes and to users
- customer interaction and experience
- the competition is open now
- projects must be business-led and collaborative
- we expect projects to last between 1 and 3 years and to range in size from £250,000 to £3 million
- small businesses could receive up to 70% of their project costs, medium-sized businesses 60% and large businesses 50%
- the registration deadline is at noon on 11 November 2015
- potential applicants can attend a briefing in London on 19 August 2015