On the second engagement of the day HRH The Prince of Wales visited Armagh Gaol. Upon arrival HRH was greeted by the Lord-Lieutenant of County Armagh, The Rt Hon The Earl of Caledon.
Armagh Gaol dates back to between 1780 and 1819 and is an integral part of Armagh’s history - historically, politically, socially, architecturally and aesthetically. It ceased to exist as a prison in 1984. Armagh City and District Council is currently promoting a major urban regeneration project involving the old Armagh Gaol. The Council has partnered with a private property development company which previously completed, in partnership with The Prince’s Regeneration Trust, a very successful similar project in the old Gaol in Oxford.
Inside the Gaol HRH heard an outline of the building’s history from John Briggs, Chief Executive, Armagh City and District Council. Moving to the “hub” HRH met representatives of The Prince’s Regeneration Trust and the Osborne Group.
Viewing a scale model of the regeneration project, HRH heard an overview of the project from Trevor Osborne of the developer, the Osborne Group. Moving on HRH viewed the East wing, including three of the cells which will be developed into an en-suite bedroom.
Outside in the Courtyard HRH listened to an overview of the impact of the proposed development.
Prior to Farewells and departure for the next engagement HRH had a brief discussion on the development proposals.
Notes to Editors
Upon arrival HRH was greeted by the Lord-Lieutenant of County Armagh, The Rt HonThe Earl of Caledon, and went on to meet:
Councillor Freda Donnelly, Mayor, Armagh City and District Council
Mr John Briggs, Chief Executive, Armagh City and District Council
Mr Alex Attwood MLA, Minister, Department of the
Mr Danny Kennedy MLA, Minister Department for Regional Development
Mr Leo O’Reilly, Permanent Secretary, Department of the Environment
Mr Will Haire, Permanent Secretary, Department for Social Development