This news article was withdrawn on
This document is no longer current
Drivers will benefit from an improved road surface on the M11 between Stansted and the M25.
The project involves resurfacing sections of the road improving 14 miles in both directions from junction 6 (M25) to junction 8 (Stansted). The overnight work will begin on Monday 7 December and is due to be completed by the end of February.
The work will be carried out during the week between 10pm and 6am both northbound and southbound and includes the M11-A120 link road.
Highways England project manager Jennie Fraser said:
This vital resurfacing work will not only improve safety but will provide road users with a better driving experience. The white lines will also be more visible, improving driver safety.
We have planned this work carefully to minimise the inconvenience to road users, by carrying out work overnight when traffic flows are lowest and will suspend work during the Christmas period.
We have worked with Stansted Airport and I would urge motorists to plan ahead and allow extra time for their journeys.
The work will be carried out overnight involving both lane closures and full closures between junctions 6 and 8.
The full closures will be:
- the M11 northbound at junction 6 between the M25 entry and exit slip roads will be closed for two nights on 11 December and 14 December
- the M11-A120 southbound link road at junction 8 will be closed for two nights on 15 and 16 December
- the M11 southbound between junction 8 and 7 will be closed for five nights from 21 January until 27 January (not including the weekend)
- the M11-A120 northbound link road at junction 8 will be closed for two nights on 28 and 29 January
- the M11 northbound between junction 7 and 8 will be closed for two nights on 17 and 18 February
During the overnight closures a clearly signed diversion route will be in place. Drivers travelling on the M11 southbound will be diverted along the A120 west towards Bishop Stortford, along the A1184, onto the A414 at Harlow before re-joining the M11 at junction 7 and vice versa for M11 junction 7 northbound.
Those travelling northbound on the M11 at junction 6 will be diverted onto the M25 anti-clockwise west to junction 26 (Waltham Abbey) and return east to re-join the M11 at junction 27.
The work is dependent on suitable weather conditions, and dates may be subject to change.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.