Apply to be a policy fellow and contribute to the future of education and children’s services.
The Department for Education is recruiting a second cohort of its flagship policy fellows. Successful candidates can contribute to the future of education and children’s services and help the government think about making policy differently.
The Department for Education fellowship aims to widen the pool of people who contribute to making and delivering government policy.
We are looking for exceptional individuals who are interested in a secondment opportunity at the heart of the department. Fellows will use their experience and skills to support high-quality policymaking in the department. They will work on specific policy challenges and share skills and experience across the department.
We would like to hear from you if you can offer:
- an innovative approach to policy development or implementation
- strong analytical skills and experience applying them to complex social challenges
- practical experience of reforming education or children’s services in the UK or abroad
- a successful track record in any sector of leading organisational reform and engaging staff
Specific projects and roles will be discussed at interview stage. Exact responsibilities will depend on the department’s priorities and your experience and preferences but will include the following:
- working closely in a specific policy team to provide challenge and insight on policy and delivery challenges in that area
- being available for wider policy teams to call on for an external perspective
- creating or building links with external contacts
- running workshops, seminars or other learning and development events for colleagues to share your experience and skills widely
We can offer full-time and part-time positions for up to 12 months to suit your current career trajectory and salaries will be appropriate for the level of the role and will be agreed following successful appointment. All rates of pay will be aligned to existing civil service paybands.
Read about our first cohort of DfE policy fellows and what they did.
If you would like to discuss this post further or if you have any specific questions, please forward your contact details and your availability to Policy.PROFESSION@education.gov.uk and we will then contact you.
How to apply
To apply to become a fellow please download the policy fellow applicant pack available in both Word and open document format:
Published: 8 June 2015
From: Department for Education