Defence practitioners are being urged to use Secure eMail to request details of the case against their client from the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) in advance of a first court appearance.
Digital working across criminal justice system
Using Secure eMail to obtain ‘Initial Details of the Prosecution Case’ (IDPC) is an important part of moves to digital working across the criminal justice system.
You can find a comprehensive list of Secure eMail contact addresses for all CPS local areas on the CPS website – see link below.
The following information is needed in your email to avoid any delay processing your request:
||unique reference number (URN) and court centre
|Body of email:
||defendant’s name, date of birth, date of hearing and nature of request
Why is using Secure eMail important?
Using Secure eMail:
- means you are compliant with the Data Protection Act when sending sensitive personal Information
- speeds up the communications with the CPS
- ensures sensitive personal information remains secure
- offers a more productive and efficient way of working with the CPS
How to register for Secure eMail
You can register to use CJSM Secure eMail using the link below.
Best practice is to set up group mailboxes allowing a number of individuals to access a CJSM account without the need to share user IDs and passwords. This will help you to direct correspondence more easily and lessen the risk of documents being missed.
Managing your Secure eMail Inbox
It is important to remember to regularly manage your CJSM inbox. Failure to do so may result in non-delivery of important and urgent papers. Common issues encountered are:
- Size of mail box too small – if your webmail mailbox fills up you will no longer be able to receive new emails from the CPS. Remember to delete or remove old emails and look at your webmail mailbox size. This will be initially set to 25mb but your local administrator can increase it to 100mb.
- Resetting your password every 90 days – failure to do so will result in e-mails not being received.
- Blackberry, iPhones and Android mobile device – configuration details of the device need to be submitted to the CJSM Helpdesk for approval before e-mails can be received – see below.
firstname.lastname@example.org – for help with mobile devices or to apply for CJSM. Alternatively, call 0870 010 8535 – 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday
CPS website – CPS contact details
CJSM Secure eMail – use ‘signing up’ tab
Defence practitioners: guidelines on digital working – especially ‘CJSM: How to connect’ PDF near foot of page
CJSEfficiency@cps.gsi.gov.uk – enquiries about CJS efficiency Programme