Entrants had to come up with a sporty creation and to highlight the four types of intellectual property created - an invention or gadget; the…
Entrants had to come up with a sporty creation and to highlight the four types of intellectual property created - an invention or gadget; the design of the product; a name or logo to trade mark and a copyrighted advertising campaign.
BritneyAnn Guest, aged 11 of Kidderminster, designed ‘Mini Flatleys’ dancing shoes for greater performance and comfort with a free lucky charm bracelet.
Baroness Wilcox, Minister for Intellectual Property, announced the three national winners and 14 regional winners for their creativity and inventions today, in a ceremony at the Liverpool Spaceport.
Baroness Wilcox said:
“There was a fantastic range of entries showing how innovative our children are but as with all competitions, we have to have winners! These young entrants have done themselves absolutely proud to be the winners of their respective regions.”
Merlin Crossingham, Creative Director at Aardman Animations said:
“BritneyAnn has covered every aspect of launching a new idea with great attention to detail including a website. As Wallace has two left feet when it comes to dancing, these would be very high on his shopping list!”
Two other regional winners for England were also announced today:
Prabhat Vishnubhatla, aged eight of Bradley Stoke, created two sporty gadgets ‘Grabman’ and ‘Kool Cheetah’ to help athletes jump higher and move faster.
Ibrahim Jafferji, aged 12 of Oadby, invented the ‘Visual trainer’ to monitor and measure heart rate, hydration and mineral levels.
Cracking Ideas is headed by Oscar® winning inventive duo Wallace & Gromit and is the largest competition of its type. The competition for 2012 is currently running until 30 April 2013. Further details are available at [http://www.crackingideas.com/competition/](http://www.crackingideas.com/competition/)**
Notes to editors**
- Baroness Wilcox is available for interview requests and photos of the Minister with the winners can be found at [www.flickr.com/photos/bisgovuk/](http://www.flickr.com/photos/bisgovuk/)
- Any media interested in interviews including speaking to the winners should contact IPO Press Officer, Veena Mapara: email@example.com; 020 7215 5614.
- Children’s TV presenter, Gareth Jones will be at the awards ceremony on Tuesday 19 June and will be available for interviews.
- Brief details of all winning entries can be found at [http://www.crackingideas.com/competition/past_winners](http://www.crackingideas.com/competition/past_winners)
- Cracking Ideas is a Government-backed project and uses a combination of lesson plans, activity packs, challenges and dedicated website, to encourage innovation and creativity amongst children aged four to 16, all with links to the UK curriculum.
- Merlin Crossingham creative director at Aardman Animations picked the winning entries from 11 regional winners.
- The Intellectual Property Office (IPO) is within the Department for Business, Innovation, and Skills (BIS) and is responsible for the national framework of Intellectual Property rights, comprising patents, designs, trade marks and copyright.
- Its role is to help manage an IP system that encourages innovation and creativity, balances the needs of consumers and users, promotes strong and competitive markets and is the foundation of the knowledge-based economy.
- It operates in a national and an international environment and its work is governed by national and international law, including various international treaties relating to Intellectual Property (IP) to which the United Kingdom is a party.
- For emergency media calls out-of-hours please contact the duty press officer at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills on +44 (0) 20 7215 3505.
- BIS’s online newsroom contains the latest press notices, speeches, as well as video and images for download. It also features an up to date list of BIS press office contacts. See http://www.bis.gov.uk/newsroom for more information.
Notes to Editors
Name BIS Press Office Job Title
Division Department for Business, Innovation & Skills Phone
Name Veena Mapara Job Title
Division Department for Business, Innovation & Skills Phone 020 7215 5614 Fax