A public consultation on the future shape of the youth secure estate was launched by the Ministry of Justice and the Youth Justice Board.
A fall in both youth crime and the number of young people in custody means the secure estate has been going through a period of change.
The consultation asks for people’s views on a proposed strategy for the organisation of the under-18 secure estate for the years 2011/12 to 2014/15 including:
- Principles and priorities governing the secure estate
- Developing enhanced units to better meet the particular needs of young people
- Reorganising the estate in response to decreasing demand
- The regime for young people in custody
- The longer-term future of the secure estate
The consultation forms part of the Government’s aim to ensure better outcomes for young people and the community.