Innovate UK is to invest up to £4 million in innovative projects that help to speed up the use of compound semiconductors.
Compound semiconductors are at the heart of many of the devices we use today. This can include smartphones, tablets and satellite communication systems. They are central, for example, to the development of the 5G network and the next generation of electric vehicles.
Since 2000, the UK has invested nearly £750 million in the development of compound semiconductors. The global market is forecast to grow to around £125 billion by 2025. The UK is well placed to exploit this growing market.
The aim of this competition is to make sure that UK businesses can respond to market opportunities in this area. We are looking for proposals with large and scalable commercial potential. This will be in areas such as power electronics, RF/microwave, photonics and sensors.
Projects may also lead to future collaboration with the new Compound Semiconductor Applications Catapult.
- This competition opens on 18 July 2016
- The registration deadline is noon on 19 October 2016
- The application deadline is noon on 26 October 2016
- There will be a briefing webinar for potential applicants on 27 July 2016
- A business must lead the project
- Projects with costs of £100,000 or above must be collaborative
- We expect projects to range in size from total costs of £50,000 to £500,000
- Projects should last between 6 and 15 months