The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has today announced the appointment of four further Legal Directors.
John McInnes, Jonathan Parker, Chris Prevett and Tom Smith will all join the CMA in the coming weeks to deliver senior legal advice for the organisation’s merger, market, competition enforcement and regulatory cases, applying their insight and expertise to both case and policy issues.
Sarah Cardell, CMA General Counsel, said:
I am delighted to welcome John, Jonathan, Chris and Tom to the CMA. They all bring with them considerable competition law expertise, gained over many years in leading City law firms, as well as experience advising in a regulatory agency. I am confident that they will play an important role in our success in the months and years to come.
Notes for editors
- Media enquiries to be directed to Michael Rosen on 0203 738 6133 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Career details:
- John McInnes: John joins from Webb Hendersen LLP, where as a Senior Associate he specialised in competition and regulatory issues relating to the telecommunications sector. Prior to this he worked at Herbert Smith Freehills, and has also been a Legal Advisor at Ofcom.
- Jonathan Parker: Jonathan joins from Allen & Overy, where he was a Senior Associate for over 6 years. He has over thirteen years of UK and EU competition law experience, working both in London and Brussels. He is the author of ‘UK Merger Control’ (Hart Publishing, 2011, jointly with Adrian Majumdar). In 2012, Jonathan was shortlisted for the Global Competition Review’s top 40 antitrust practitioners in the world aged under 40.
- Chris Prevett: Chris has eight years’ experience in competition law and joins from Travers Smith LLP. He previously trained and qualified at Slaughter and May and spent a year as a senior policy adviser whilst on secondment at the OFT.
- Tom Smith: Tom joins the CMA from Hogan Lovells, where he was a Senior Associate with a broad range of experience of UK and European competition law. He has undertaken secondments to both the OFT Mergers Branch and ITV plc.
- In April 2014, the Competition and Markets Authority (the CMA) became the UK’s lead competition and consumer body. It brought together the existing competition and certain consumer protection functions of the Office of Fair Trading and the responsibilities of the Competition Commission, as amended by the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act 2013. For more information on the CMA, see its homepage, follow its Twitter @CMAgovuk or Flickr accounts or visit its LinkedIn page.
Published: 8 May 2014