Applications for 2015-16 Chevening Scholarships, the prestigious global scholarship programme of the UK government, open on Friday 1 August 2014 and will continue until Saturday 15 November 2014. Potential Dominican candidates are strongly encouraged to apply during this period. Awards are for a one-year Master’s degree at any of the UK’s leading universities.
The priority areas in which candidates are sought for 2015-16 are as follows:
- Sustainable Development
- Mining and Extractive Industries
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM)
Candidates from other areas will also be considered but will have less probability to be short-listed.
Applicants for 2015/16 Chevening Scholarships must:
- be a Dominican citizen and intend to return to the Dominican Republic at the end of the period of study;
- hold a university degree;
- have achieved the minimum English language exam (IELTS) requirement by 15 July 2015. For details http://caribbean.britishcouncil.org/exam/ielts
- have completed at least two years’ work or equivalent experience before applying for a Chevening Scholarship. Ideally they should be mid career professionals.
- be able to obtain the correct visa, and receive an unconditional offer from a UK university.
The Scholarships, which are funded by the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) and partner organisations, operate in 118 countries worldwide. This year the scholarships will support over 600 established or emerging leaders.
Chevening alumni have an excellent record of rising to positions of leadership across a wide range of fields: including politics, business, the media, religion, and academia. Some work as Poticians, leading journalists or policy advisers to NGOs and think tanks; others occupy senior positions in commercial organisations.
Applications for Chevening Scholarships must be submitted online at www.Chevening.org.
It is up to the candidate to find a course and apply directly to this scheme. Further details are available on the Dominican Republic Page.