This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The award was given for the Department’s hard work building an innovative and engaging shared website platform for BIS and its partner organisations…
The award was given for the Department’s hard work building an innovative and engaging shared website platform for BIS and its partner organisations which will save taxpayers more than £5 million over the next four years.
Working in collaboration with suppliers Eduserv, BIS has developed a single platform capable of running effective and engaging websites for the Department and its partners, at minimal cost. Non-technical staff can easily add new content in real time, and take advantage of the integration with social networking sites like Twitter, Flickr and YouTube.
Welcoming the award, BIS’ Permanent Secretary Martin Donnelly said:
“People need to know what the Government is doing to foster economic growth and deliver BIS priorities. Our website plays a huge part in communicating that work to the public.
“There has been an excellent effort from the BIS staff involved in the work on our website over recent months. They should be very proud of what they’ve achieved. I’m very pleased that their dedication and hard work has been recognised.”
Notes to editors
- The UK Sitecore awards took place on 9 December. The awards recognise organisations using Sitecore’s website technology to develop an outstanding web presence. Nominations are judged on creativity, integration with rich data sources and applications, the ability to engage, educate and motivate an action, and overall user experience.
- The BIS website won the overall award for UK Site of the Year as well as a category award for Best Government and Public Services Site.
- The BIS website was launched in March 2010. It will cost £2.5m less over four years than the contracts it replaced and is expected to save a further £700K per year through consolidation of BIS partner organisation websites onto the shared platform.
- The full citation for the award said:
“BIS worked with Sitecore partner Eduserv to build a new site that was perfectly placed to deliver on its complex business requirements. The new site empowers BIS’s non-technical staff to easily update new content in real-time, integrates with social networking sites such as Twitter, Flickr and YouTube and also uses Eduserv’s Government Ready Platform (GRR) to host the site, which allows BIS’s partners to develop their own websites within the main framework quickly and efficiently. This execution of a large scale Web platform is future proofing the electronic communication for a large variety of governmental bodies. In times when budgets are stretched, it is important for businesses to invest smart and achieve high. Investing smartly on technology not only can bring significant benefits, but also enables organizations to proactively change the way they do business to adapt to increasing market demands.”
- For more information on the awards please contact Shawn Cabral on 020 3327 0633.
- BIS’ online newsroom contains the latest press notices, speeches, as well as video and images for download. It also features an up to date list of BIS press office contacts. See http://www.bis.gov.uk/newsroom for more information.
Notes to Editors
Name BIS Press Office Job Title
Division COI Phone
Name Nick Evans Job Title
Division Department for Business, Innovation and Skills Phone 020 7215 3496 Fax
Published: 16 December 2010