This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
British Embassy is seeking an Assistant Political Officer in Communications
Assistant Political Officer - Communications
The British Embassy in Riga is part of a world-wide network of 230 Diplomatic Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. The Political team at the embassy is seeking an Assistant Political Officer. The main purpose of the job is supporting the work of the political team through designing and delivering communications activities in support of Embassy priorities. Additionally you will be expected to undertake analysis and political reporting covering a broad range of domestic, European Union (EU) and international issues. With Latvia hosting the EU Presidency in 2015 there will be exciting opportunities to be part of the embassy’s work with the Latvian government. Experience of working or studying in a British/ international environment is preferred.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designing and delivering communications activities in support of Embassy priorities, through public diplomacy engagements, relevant media work and digital diplomacy activities (social networks, website)
- Developing and maintaining a broad network of media contacts
- Undertaking research and other assistance for the political section
- Spotting opportunities for, and managing, where necessary, bilateral projects and events
- Press monitoring and reporting
- Assisting in arranging public diplomacy and media during inward visits
- Dealing with enquiries from the public
- Translation and interpretation between English, Latvian and Russian as required
LVL 760 gross per month. In addition, we offer a generous package of benefits, including annual performance based bonus, annual leave and medical insurance. Employees are also granted 5 paid development days per year and enjoy access to a wide range of learning and development opportunities throughout the year.
The successful candidate will have:
- Experience and understanding of local media, PR and communications environment.
- An understanding of international relations and familiarity with the UK either through work or study.
- Fluency in English, Latvian and Russian including excellent written English and verbal communication skills.
- Good IT skills including Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Good knowledge and experience with social networks.
- Strong and persuasive interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Research and briefing skills
- Good team-working skills and a proven ability to work flexibly and collaboratively with a range of colleagues and stakeholders.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks. In relation to this, the successful candidate will need to arrange his/her own certificate of criminal non-convictions. You must also be permitted to work in Latvia in order to apply.
Please send your CV and covering letter in English providing evidence of the required skills and experience by 28 October 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview, which will also consist of a written test in English relevant to the role. Details will be provided at the time of short-listing. All interviews are conducted in English by a panel, usually made up of three members of staff.
All interviewed candidates will be contacted within one week of the interview to inform them whether or not they have been successful.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation