The call for applications is now closed
Assistant Political Officer
The British Embassy in Riga is part of a world-wide network of 230 Diplomatic Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. The Political team at the embassy is seeking an Assistant Political Officer. The main purpose of the job is supporting the work of the team through research, monitoring, analysis and reporting covering a broad range of domestic, European Union (EU) and international issues. With Latvia hosting the EU Presidency in 2015 there will be exciting opportunities to be part of the embassy’s work with the Latvian government. Experience of working or studying in a British/ international environment is preferred.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keeping the Embassy updated on local developments relating to British foreign policy priorities including EU, cyber, justice and home affairs, energy and climate change, human rights and regional and domestic issues.
- Developing and managing a broad network of contacts.
- Spotting opportunities for, and managing bilateral projects and events.
- Press monitoring and reporting.
- Arranging and managing visits by official UK visitors coming to Latvia.
- Monitoring and updating post social networking sites including Facebook and Twitter.
- Undertaking research and other assistance for the political section.
- Dealing with enquiries from the public.
- Translation and interpretation between English, Latvian and Russian as required.
LVL 760 gross per month.
In addition, we offer a generous package of benefits, including annual performance based bonus, annual leave and medical insurance. Employees are also granted 5 paid development days per year and enjoy access to a wide range of learning and development opportunities throughout the year.
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree majoring in a relevant subject such as international relations, politics, law or a similar subject.
- A good understanding of EU institutions and EU policy making.
- An understanding of international relations and familiarity with the UK either through work or study.
- Fluency in English, Latvian and Russian including excellent written English and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent research and briefing skills
- Self motivation and the ability to work under light supervision.
- Strong interpersonal and team working skills.
- Good IT skills including Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Good social media skills including Facebook and Twitter.
Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks. In relation to this, the successful candidate will need to arrange his/her own certificate of criminal non-convictions. You must also be permitted to work in Latvia in order to apply.
Please send your CV and covering letter in English providing evidence of the required skills and experience by 07 October 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Short-listed candidates will be invited to an interview, which will also consist of a written test in English relevant to the role. Details will be provided at the time of short-listing. All interviews are conducted in English by a panel, usually made up of three members of staff.
All interviewed candidates will be contacted within one week of the interview to inform them whether or not they have been successful.
The British Embassy is an equal opportunities employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation