The minister’s responsibilities include:
- free schools, university technical colleges and studio schools
- academies and multi-academy trusts, including governance
- faith schools
- independent schools
- home education and supplementary schools
- intervention in underperforming schools, including trust capacity funds
- school capital investment (including pupil place planning, new school places and school condition)
- counter extremism and integration in schools
- safeguarding in schools and post-16 settings
- school efficiency
- departmental efficiency and commercial
Current role holder: Baroness Berridge of The Vale of Catmose
Baroness Berridge of The Vale of Catmose was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the School System at the Department for Education and Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Minister for Women) at the Department for International Trade on 14 February 2020. She has also been a Government Whip (Baroness in Waiting) since 29 July 2019.
(Photo source UK Parliament website. Used under Creative Commons).