The minister’s responsibilities include:
- responsible for departmental strategy on the labour market, unemployment and in work progression, with a focus on under-represented groups, young people and skills
- in work conditionality including sanctions
- international labour market policy (International Labour Organization, G20, EPSCO, European Social Fund, UK Shared Prosperity Fund)
- work services and Jobcentre Plus partnership working
- Jobseeker’s Allowance and Income Support
- people and location programme
- Youth Obligation Support Programme
- Flexible Support Fund
- labour market interventions for self-employment (New Enterprise Allowance and future offer)
- childcare in UC
- benefit cap
- maternity benefits
- cross Department for Work and Pensions spokesperson – shadowing Lords
Current role holder: Mims Davies MP
Mims Davies was appointed as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Employment at the Department for Work and Pensions on 26 July 2019.
She was Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport from 5 November 2018 to 25 July 2019.
She was previously Assistant Government Whip from January 2018 to November 2018, and Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Wales from July 2018 to November 2018.