The aims, members and outcome of the independent review of the Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework (TEF) and its advisory group.
Dame Shirley Pearce was appointed to conduct an independent review of the Teaching Excellence and Student Outcomes Framework (TEF). Shirley established an advisory group of relevant experts to support her in the review.
Work streams and commissions
Shirley’s review relied on comprehensive evidence to make sure the findings were robust. The work streams and commissions which supported the review included:
- a call for views consultation which ran until 1 March 2019 to capture views and perceptions
- a programme of listening sessions held at the same time as the call for views which heard from a range of people. Read a summary of the listening sessions for the independent review of TEF
- an independent expert view of the statistical information used in TEF, informed by a Statistics Steering Group, which considered and reported on:
- the process of determining ratings and the sources of statistical information used
- whether the process and sources of statistical information are fit for purpose. Read the Office for National Statistics’ evaluation of the statistical elements of TEF.
- a review of existing research and engagement with applicants and careers advisors about how TEF impacts on student choices about higher education. Read the DfE and UCAS applicant and advisors surveys.
- consultation with international experts and the British Council. Read the British Council’s research on the international perceptions of the TEF.
- a review of existing research and analysis to update cost estimates. Read the updated cost estimates of TEF.
- targeted engagement with employers, drawing on relevant members of the review’s advisory group who set up events and gathered views
To undertake this work, Shirley received administrative support from the Department for Education, including the secondment of Sam Meakin as senior advisor to the review.
Terms of reference
The terms of reference sets out the objectives of the independent review and how it will work with other TEF developments.
Reviewer and advisory group member biographies
Review report and recommendations
The independent review report was laid before Parliament in January 2021.
Her recommendations have been considered by the Secretary of State for Education and the government has provided a formal response.