The Ministry of Defence Research Ethics Committee (MODREC) ensures that all research involving human participants either undertaken, funded or sponsored by MOD meets nationally and internationally accepted ethical standards.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and UK government advice to reduce social contacts, some deviations from JSP536 will be implemented on a temporary basis (reviewed monthly by the MODREC committee) to ensure continuity of MOD research ethics review. Read the full details in the
The Ministry of Defence Research Ethics Committee (MODREC) is commissioned to review research projects involving human participants. It safeguards the rights, dignity and welfare of the individuals volunteering to participate in research studies.
The Committee is an independent body comprising of non-MOD (expert and lay) members and is supported by appropriate MOD advisers.
Prior to final review by MODREC, scientific and technical rigour is assured through assessment by a Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC).
MODREC and SACs operates according to Joint Service Publication 536 (JSP536) which is harmonised with guidelines set out by the UK’s Health Research Authority.
Applying for review
You can read our guide about how to apply for SAC and MODREC review here.
Ethics Committee members
Independent Members of MODREC
- Chairman: Dr Simon Kolstoe
- Vice-Chairman: Professor David Jones - Bioethicist
- Mr Paul Affleck - Lay member (Healthcare ethics)
- Mr Paul Andersen - Lay member
- Mr Clive Collett - Lay member (Medical ethics and law)
- Mrs Julia Cons - Lay member
- Dr Matthew Davis - Organisational Psychologist
- Professor Graham Devereux - Professor of Respiratory Medicine
- Professor Chris Fry - Professor of Physiology
- Mrs Diana Harvey - Lay member
- Dr Raymond Johnston - Consultant Occupational Physician
- Dr Angus McFadyen - Statistician
- Professor Vassilios Papalois - Reader in Transplantation Surgery
- Dr Michael Pegg - Consultant Anesthetist
- Dr Ian White - Consultant Dermatologist
- Dr Jim House - Environmental and Occupational Physiologist
Advisory Members of MODREC
- Dr Paul Rice - Science and Technology Adviser
- Capt Matt Harvey (RN) - MOD Military Adviser
- Surg Cdr Catherine Powell - Military Medical Adviser
About our members
MODREC has a mixture of expert and lay members and is supported by the MODREC Secretariat. MOD administers the Secretariat and also appoints advisory members to the Committee. These are MOD members of staff who are appointed to provide advice to the Committee on internal MOD policy. The voting members of the Committee are independent of MOD.
The Appointing Authority, with the support of the Chair of MODREC, make appointments to MODREC. Members are appointed in their own right, to participate in the work of MODREC as equal individuals of sound judgement and relevant experience.
Expert committee members are chosen to ensure that MODREC has:
- relevant methodological and ethical expertise in applied physiological and psychological research, clinical research, non-clinical research, qualitative or other research methods applicable to human sciences, including medicine and the social sciences
- relevant clinical practice
- knowledge and experience of experimental design
- knowledge and experience of statistics relevant to research
Should the MODREC Chair consider additional expertise is required, subject matter experts can be drafted to MODREC.
At least one third of MODREC members are lay members whose primary personal or professional interest is not in research.
MOD Research Ethics Committee (MODREC)
Bldg 005, G02
Dstl Porton Down
Gill Winter 01980 956351
Use for gaining the pre-MODREC scientific review
Scientific Assessment Committees (for gaining the pre-MODREC scientific review)
Royal Navy Scientific Assessment Committee
Institute of Naval Medicine
Chair: Dr Shaun Kilminster 02392 768040, email - Shaun.Kilminster965@mod.gov.uk
Vice-Chair: Dr Adrian Allsopp, Head of Environmental Medicine, INM 023927 68066, email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Point of Contact for queries and applications: Dr Graeme Nicholson 02392 768115, email - email@example.com
Army Scientific Assessment Committee
Army Scientific Assessment Committee
Co-Chair: Dr Julie Greeves OBE 01264 886792
Co-Chair: Dr Andrew Roberts 01264 887562
Secretary: Dr Fiona Koivula 01264 887050
Royal Air Force Scientific Assessment Committee
RAF Centre of Aviation Medicine
Chair: Mr Peter Tait FRAeS n/a
Vice-Chair: Dr Alistair Macmillan BSc MBChB FFOM n/a
Secretary: Sqn Ldr Tania Thomas 01462 851515 ext 8054
Secretary: Flt Lt Rich Vail 01462 851515 ext 6460
Defence Science and Technology Laboratory Scientific Advisory Committee
Defence Science Technology Laboratory
Chair: Dr Vibha Patel 01980 951093. Email - Vpatel2@dstl.gov.uk
Secretary: Liam Elliott 01980 956639