The Oversight Committee provides an independent view of how the DMPS is operating and the applicant experience.
People who have been diagnosed with the asbestos related disease, diffuse mesothelioma, may be able to get payments through the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme (DMPS).
The Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme Oversight Committee helps the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) monitor the scheme. It:
- provides a stakeholder view on the scheme
- makes recommendations on how to improve the process where appropriate
- ensures that eligible people are receiving payments through a reasonable and efficient process
- informs DWP about any potential problems so they can be dealt with at the earliest opportunity
Terms of reference
The committee consists of members from relevant interest groups with knowledge of diffuse mesothelioma. Current members are:
- Baroness Rita Donaghy – Chair
- Steve Bellingham – Royal Sun Alliance insurers
- Laurence Besemer – Forum of Insurance Lawyers
- Bridget Collier – Association of Personal Injury Lawyers
- Graham Dring – Asbestos Victims Support Group Forum
- Hugh Robertson – Trades Union Congress