DFID Digital Advisory Panel
Information about DFID's Digital Advisory Panel including its role and members.
Role of the Group
The Digital Advisory Panel was established by the Department for International Development to provide expert advice on digital issues as we work to meet the Government Digital Service (GDS) standards for digital by default. Their role is to take an overview of the strategy for digital and technology in our organisation and programmes. They will advise, challenge and inform our digital plans.
The panel was brought together following a commitment in our digital strategy.
They will help set the direction of our digital projects, advise on strategies and opportunities, provide technical advice where possible and challenge our thinking by prompting us to push boundaries, remain relevant, dynamic and innovative.
The panel is chaired by DFID’s non-executive director Tim Robinson and its members are:
- Jane Coffin is the Director, Development Strategy at the Internet Society, where her work focuses on coordination of collaborative strategies for expanding Internet infrastructure, access, and related capacities in emerging economies
- Kevin Cunnington is the Director General of the Government Digital Service, which is leading the digital transformation of government, making public services digital by default, and simpler, clearer and faster to use
- Nick Hughes is the founder and strategy director of M-KOPA, and was formerly the head of global payments at Vodafone Group, where he started M-PESA
- Stephen King is a partner at Omidyar Network, leading their Global Governance and Citizen Engagement initiative, and was formerly chief executive of BBC Media Action
- Nanjira Sambuli is the Digital Equality Advocacy Manager at the World Wide Web Foundation, working at the intersection of governance, media, culture and society to promote digital equality in access to and use of the Web
- Michael Trucano is the World Bank’s Senior Education and Technology Policy Specialist and Global Lead for Innovation in Education, working on issues at the intersection of technology use and education in middle and low income countries and emerging markets around the world
- Tim Unwin is Emeritus Professor of Geography and UNESCO Chair in ICT4D at Royal Holloway, University of London and was previously Secretary General of the Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (2011-15)
Terms of Reference
Terms of Reference: Digital Advisory Panel (MS Word Document, 1.24MB)
- Department for International Development Digital Strategy 2012 to 2015
- Department for International Development Digital Strategy: 12 months on report